Dead IPod Will not reset or restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mdavis6565, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdavis6565

mdavis6565 New Member

I have a 2g jb ipod touch with 2.2.1. I was browsing cydia and doing some updates when it suddenly froze. Pressing the home or sleep button did nothing so I held down the sleep button until the screen went blank. After this I could not wake it back up so I tried to put it into DFU mode to do a tethered restart (have not done untethered jb yet). Rslite did not recognize the ipod and I went into itunes which did not recognize it either (this was done on a mac). I reset my computer and still got no recognition of an ipod being connected to it. I tried plugging it into a PC and the PC brought up a message saying that the USB device was not recognized. Sorry if this is a repost but I have been trying to find info on this problem and only find solutions to other problems people have so any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Does it have power, also do you have LibUSB installed.
  3. mdavis6565

mdavis6565 New Member

Yeah Lib is installed and I suspect it does have power although nothing appears on the screen and it does not make any noise. I am thinking that it is locked in some way that prevents it from hard reseting although I really do not know. If this is the case I suppose I need to wait until the battery dies and then try but since it was fully charged this could take a while. I figured I would see if anyone else had this problem. If I remember correctly the last thing I did was add the hackthatiphone repo in cydia.
  4. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Have you tried holding both buttons until it restarts, or have you tried to enter DFU mode again? It's pretty darn hard to break your iPod so badly that DFU mode won't work. In fact, I think it's impossible, save hardware damage...
  5. mdavis6565

mdavis6565 New Member

Holding both buttons for any amount of time has no observable affect. I have tried putting into DFU mode at least 10 times by now. I really do not think it is physically damaged in anyway but no computer is recognizing it as an ipod or anything else. I think I am having the same problem as wally in http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167055 but it is hard to say.
  6. mdavis6565

mdavis6565 New Member

Well tried charging my cell phone on my mac today and wondered why it was not working so I plugged it into the other usb slot and guess what worked fine. Apparently my Ipod was fine this whole time but my USB slot was broken. Just a coincidence that it happened at the same time the Ipod crashed. I am running the quickpwn now and it appears to be working fine. Just wanted to let you guys know in case anyone was losing sleep over the possibility of an undamaged Ipod not going into dfu mode. Glad I found out before I bought a new one.
  7. -Saint-

-Saint- New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i have been given a 2G 16gb ipod otuch recently that will not reset,restore or DFU. the screen is out and im waiting on pry tools to check for any water damage as the person who previously ownwed is reluctant to let me know. from look it looks immaculate. Connectivity is fine to itunes however it asks for a passcode that cannot be tryped in. Plays in a car stereo and dock. and if i press both buttons i can sometimes hear screen shot sound so the firmware seems fine. i let it die out after a week of inactivity and held home as i pluggd into pc. no help. any ideas? what possible hardware damage could happen that stops DFU and not normal functions?
  8. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

There is a rule against bumping old threads, please don't do this.
  9. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Please don't bump old threads, I encourage you to make a new thread with your problem.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.