Dead Battery Will Not Charge

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MrFairladyz, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    [SOLVED] Dead Battery Will Not Charge

EDIT: After messing around with the device, I have found the solution. Scroll down to read it.

Hello everyone, this problem has been brought up before, but no results were ever achieved.

My sister was messing with my (locked) iPod touch 1G yesterday. It was eventually disabled and then ran out of battery. Usually, if someone were to try and charge on an empty battery, a red indicator would come up and you would have to wait a few minutes before the iPod booted up.

The problem here is, the iPod doesn't seem to charge. When plugged in, it boots up (apple logo) for about 10-15 seconds before shutting off. I've left it plugged in for about six hours, but it still wont get to the red charging screen or boot up past 10 seconds.

One of my wall chargers makes a tiny whistling sound when power is being drawn, and when i plug the iPod in, it boots up, but when it shuts off after the initial 15 seconds, the whistling stops (it stops drawing power). It's almost as if the power source is giving up on charging it (or the iPod stops using usb once it dies).

I've tried booting into DFU, but it just doesn't work. I have also tried booting into restore mode, and about 3 seconds after I get to the "plug into iTunes" screen and a "restore iPod before use" popup shows in iTunes, it shuts down again. That's about the farthest I've gotten.

I've tried this on a wall charger, a Mac, and a Vista PC. The Mac gave me the restore screen (because i had iTunes open).

My warranty is up, so I'm open to try out anything that doesn't involve ripping it apart.

Thanks ;D

Solution

1. Open iTunes.
    2. Plug your iPod in and let it bot up and shut down.
    3. Press and hold the power button and before the apple logo shows up, hold the home button (be quick, you have to press it before the apple logo).
    4. Once the Restore screen shows on your iPod, immediately unplug it. Make sure it does not shut off. Click OK on the iTunes popup.
    5. After waiting about 30 seconds without it shutting down, you can now plug your iPod back in and restore normally.
  2. liam-p

liam-p New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    same

i have somethink the same with my ipod it doesnt turn on at all unless u plug it in then tha apple logo will apear then turn sraight off so i tryed putting it in recovery mode by holding down the turn off button and the home buttton it work it went into recovery mode it willl turn off after about 5 mins with it pluged in but if i take out the plug it will turn off also if i try to restore it it will get to the bit when it say on i tunes (prepering ipod for restore) after that my ipod will turn off so i cant restore it. i think that it is because of the battery it is dead and it will not charge i have tryed it on a diffrent computer and through the plug socket still wont charge do i neeed a new battery? please help thanks or e-mail me at badmanle123@hotmail.co.uk

Please Register or Log in to view images

my ipod is an 8gb ipod touch 1g