DAW/Audio Apps Control - BIG KNOBS.

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by permutated, Dec 3, 2007.

1. permutated

permutated New Member

Hey guys.

Theres a hardware controller called 'The BIG KNOB' that sends midi messages to DAWs like Reason or Logic. Its just what the name implies; its a big knob.

Example: http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage.html?u=/products/bigknob/images/ZOOMED_main.jpg

How cool would that be to use your iPod touch to control Reason's knobs, or the Lfo's in certain Logic instruments?

You could use the Midi Map thats already there based on Max MSP tech, and just develop a GUI for it.

There should be a config window to set how many knobs (1 or 2), what fingers do, what parameters to control, etc.

Heres the link for the Midi app; http://thrill.artificialeyes.tv/i3L_v0.2

BTW - How many fingers can the iPod recognize at one time?

How realistic is this idea?
  2. Type56

Type56 New Member

or an X-Y pad like the korg kaoss pad for the touch^^ the question is how to link it up with reason or other progs... USB? WIFI?
  3. permutated

permutated New Member

Another idea I had would be an assignable XY pad based off the Kaoss Pad. I think that program would well within the context of that Midi app.

Usb would be preferred, especially since alot of people would be gigging and might not have access to a wifi spot.

But if it had to be Wifi- so be it.
  4. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

Very interested to see this developed, esp since I don't own a Mackie Big Knob. I do most of my work in Pro Tools, so a concept app like this would be a blessing. Two thumbs up for this idea.

I'm still pushing for a DJ-oriented track launcher with pitch control, but as no one else seems to be as jazzed as I am about its use.
  5. permutated

permutated New Member

I definitely think the DJ idea could work, but to really make it seem realistic; you would need at least two Touch's IMO.
  6. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

I was thinking more of integrating it into a current setup, like two Tech 12's and use the touch plugged into one of the line levels (like most people hook up CDJ cd turntables.) But yeah, if something like that were developed, having two Touches would be a perfect turntable-less DJ'ing solution.

eh?