daemon apps, help =[

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by linkcool, Feb 12, 2010.

1. linkcool

linkcool New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hi people,
    im kind of new here, looking at posts but never making some...
    anyways... I just need some help =/...

i read in a site that there are daemon apps that run in the background and eat the battery and slow the ipod. if you wnt, you can google: iPhone Slower Than Before? .
    They say that you can find what are the apps running in the background by: "use the “top” command in SSH or terminal or the “ps” command."

how can we use a command in SSH? is it on the ipod(i have open ssh)? or on the pc(i got windows)? what program you need on windows(i got winscp)?

and for the terminal, i write "ps" without the "" and it doesnt shows me any programs, just:
    PID TTY Time CMD

so yeah, how can we find the exact apps running in background with SHH? AND with Terminal?

thanks! =]
    linkcool
  2. picklejw

picklejw Member

Device:
    iPad
    you doing all the right thing, i know you have to download the command "top" from cydia seperatly, then you can use the "kill" command to kill the process, if u want you can deleate the daemons to, hope this helps
  3. linkcool

linkcool New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    how i download the "top" command from cydia? (it's a download? O_O? ) and i also have to download the "kill"?
    and i can delete them with SSH? if i can, i need to know wich are the ones that are daemons, i need the top command....
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    umm....don't touch the daemons - if you want to remove them use cydia....winterboard for example is one or the backgrounder or sbsettings....there are so many daemons out there - killing or deleting them via terminal requires much knowledge about what you're doing otherwise it will cause you to a restore or at least a respring into safe mode -.-

the "top" command can be isntalled via the package "top" from cydia...yeah...but don't touch the daemons at all as said before!
  5. linkcool

linkcool New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah so i find the background apps with the"top" command and then i kill them TROUGH cydia / rock ?

EDIT: ok so now im in the teminal, i typed "top" without the quotes and it shows me that:
    PAID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #

in a picture in the site i visited, they had process under COMMAND, me i have, top, bash, login. i have installed winterboard and its not even showing up under COMMAND, i also have SBSettings that is not showing up. what is that bash and login ? and why "top" is using around 7% of CPU??

thanks for all the help i got but i need some more =/...
  6. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    no don't find them using top....if your phone or ipod gets slower then think of removing sbsettings or big winterboard themes or things like that...almost any extension that is not a stand-alone app but does something in the background and is installed through cydia/rock slows the iphone/ipod because it uses a daemon process and so it uses RAM...
    (winterboard, backgrounder, sbsettings for example)
    top is only for purposes like finding running apps on the command line (for example whether mail is running or not) - don't use the command line if you don't know what you#re doing

Please Register or Log in to view images

this is just a warning hint because the CL is very mighty and using the CL you can kill your jailbreak or wipe your phone ^^(though not brick it because DFu is always possible)
  7. linkcool

linkcool New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok thx

EDIT:

Ok im trying to install an app( halo4iphone cr full) in cydia, after uninstalling sbsettings and disabling winterboard themes, and when i try to install it, cydia crashes, it happened another time with another app. this means i have alots of CPU used? if it is so, it means i have daemon apps running, how to know what apps they are? (wich one cause lag)

thx! =D
  8. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    There are multiple daemons that are things the iPod wouldn't use remaining from the iPhone or that aren't things you would use. The best guide I've found for this is (of course) on a website that this site doesn't like because of piracy stuff. The site also has great non-piracy-related articles. Google iPhone Speedup Experiment and hit up the first link. (mods: I'm not advocating piracy, I didn't link to the site or anything, just helping this guy out. spare me)
  9. linkcool

linkcool New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    lol ^^ xD.

ok thx alot dude. =D
  10. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You're welcome. (thank you mods- we really should change some of the rules about that cuz some sites that have piracy stuff also have really great articles that everybody here would like. at least let us say bring the good stuff up.)