Cyntact: First Impressions

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by deepdvd, Mar 7, 2009.

1. deepdvd

deepdvd Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I just purchased Cyntact, the first (and currently only) app available in the new Cydia Store.

I wanted to show my support for Jay (Saurik) Freeman and all he has done for the community... even more than I wanted the app.

Cyntact is a cool mod for the built-in Contacts app though. It "shows profile pictures in contact lists!"

(Note: The purpose of this thread is to get impressions on Cyntact. There are other reviews of the Cydia Store itself and purchasing in it, so there's no need to focus on that part)

When I first installed Cyntact, it required me to restart the Springboard which means it must be a MobileSubstrate extensionas opposed to modifying the Contacts app itself.

It's also apparently not compatible with IntelliScreen (see the note on the app details), which isn't a problem for me because I use Lock Calendar instead.

It's really nice to have contact pictures showing up on the left side of each contact, but there is now a noticeable delay when starting up Contacts. Because of this, I can't give it full marks for usefulness. For those people who want fast access to their contacts, having pictures will obviously slow things down when loading.
    I compared my iPod Touch 2G with my wife's (whose Touch is not jailbroken) for speed of launching. It took more than twice as long to load.

I decided to uninstall it because of this delay. I don't regret the purchase though. Once I add in all my contact photos (using Google Contacts... I'm not willing to do it on my device), I will re-evaluate it. Hopefully, the delay doesn't increase terribly when there are more pictures to load.

Anyone else who bought it, please add your thoughts and impressions.

I realize this thread is probably in the wrong category, but I think it's more likely to be read by those who have purchased Cyntact than in any other area.
  2. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    good review...