Cydia vs. Installer?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ElectricBuffalo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ElectricBuffalo

ElectricBuffalo New Member

Hey guys,

I tried to download to Cydia the other day and ironically enough, Installer caused the whole thing to go awry. Anyways, I like Installer but I'm interested to try Cydia since it had a few cool features that would make it more convienient. However, I also read that Cydia can't add sources yet (from the news post) however I think there's been an update to it since then. If that is the case, I'd rather wait to start using it. However, I'm curious... has anybody used it and found any big downfalls or advantages to using it over Installer? Thanks.
  2. herve5

herve5 New Member

Cydia is long to install (11 Mo IIRC) so you may just have failed the long download, or even just let the ipod sleep in the middle. I'd suggest to retry while touching the screen from time to time in order to prevent sleep.
    Here it works, and there have been updates since I installed it yesterday.
  3. willymcsilly

willymcsilly New Member

i downloaded it two days ago and havent spent anytime messing around with it yet, but i did notice the one time I did open it there werent any packages to download maybe you have to refresh the sources the first time u open it or sumthin I dn I will deffinatly take a further look at it soon
  4. bjlock

bjlock Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    cydia allows to you refresh sources alot faster but at this point you cant add sources, not yet at least
  5. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Cydia's ok. I personally like Installer more because it is A LOT better developed and I have an attachment to it. Also Cydia makes you uninstall BSD Subsystem.
  6. Redshift

Redshift New Member

Yes, but replaces it with a system more stable than BSD Subsystem.
  7. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

Well... Cydia has lots of features for developers. As well as that, it has the entire modmyifone.com repository, and Ste will be supporting it soon as well. The actual package management system is much more advanced, as it is based on Debian Linux's APT. Plus, the Unix-based features that the back-end system brings are backwards compatible with Installer and BSD Subsytem; anything you can do with BSD Subsystem can be done with Cydia's version of Unix tools, and generally works better. For instance, if you install term-vt100 through installer and log into it, the moment you have logged on, the backspace glitch goes away.
  8. Sargentsubzer0

Sargentsubzer0 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    from what ive seen cydia looks promising but at the moment it would be better wait until u can add sources and until there are a couple of more changes
  9. hockeypanda32

hockeypanda32 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can add sources manually somehow, use the search button and look around and you will see!

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    So can I have Cydia and Installer installed and both working with all my apps working also?