[CYDIA REVIEW] vWallpaper

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by maxxdout, Feb 14, 2010.

1. maxxdout

maxxdout Active Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

vWallpaper is an app available on the Cydia/Rock store for a hefty price tag of...FREE! What it does is allow the user to apply a video wallpaper on their Springboard to create a one-of-a-kind iPod Touch or iPhone.

Main Options

The first thing you will see when you open up vWallpaper is a cool looking loading screen and then the home screen...

The home screen is where you will select which type of video you want to apply and where you can visit the developers website or donate to the developer.

You can choose either a video wallpaper or a video ringtone, which is pretty much a video wallpaper with sound.

Tap into the video wallpaper section and you will see this screen:

This page will let you enable vWallpaper, choose your video, download videos, add a video repo, or select a picture overlay.

Once you tap into the Select Video page, you will see a list of videos you can use as a video wallpaper. When you tap on a video, it gives you a preview and asks if you would like to choose it or choose a different one. The same thing goes for the Select Picture page:

The download page lets you download other vWallpaper's. The video repository page allows you to add your own vWallpaper repo's:

Initial Impressions

Once you select your video/ring-tone wallpaper and picture overlay(not needed), your Springboard will automatically respring. Unlock your device and get ready to experience a truly awesome Springboard!
    (The picture below does not do it's justice. You have to see it in action to be truly blown away!)

In addition to downloading videos, you can also SSH your own .MP4 or .MOV videos, video ringtones, or picture overlays into /private/var/mobile/media/skrew. Use your favorite video converter and change the size to 480x320 and disable audio(if you are planning on having a video wallpaper).

Battery Life

In my research of the effects on the battery life from running vWallpaper, a lot of people were saying that their battery life drastically decreased. I wanted to find out how much the battery life decrease was from using a standard picture wallpaper, so I performed a small test.

I turned the brightness to 100%, turned on WiFi, Bluetooth, and disabled auto-lock so the screen would stay on for my full testing period, which was three hours. In my first test, I enabled vWallpaper and recorded the battery level after every 30 minutes. I disabled the vWallpaper in the second test and again, recorded the battery level after every 30 minutes. I kept the iPod at it's Springboard in each test.

As you can see from this giraffe, ermm, graph, vWallpaper did decrease the battery life at an average of 8.43%. That isn't a whole lot, so I wouldn't worry too much about battery life. Also, here are a few things to consider about the battery life...

• vWallpaper only activates when you are at the Springboard. Once you open an app, it closes and once you exit that app, vWallpaper starts up again.
    • In my test, I kept the iPod at the Springboard for three hours. How much time do you spend at the Springboard? I personally don't spend long at all on it, which means vWallpaper won't be running most of the time that I am on my iPod.

Final Review

Pros:
    • Easy to set up
    • Free
    • Just looks awesome!

Cons:
    • Occaisonally, after an app close, vWallpaper doesn't start back up. If this happens, open a non-running app and close it, and vWallpaper should start up again
    • SSH'd videos need to be 480x320, or else, it wont show up that good
    • While playing music in the background(on the Springboard), vWallpaper doesn't start, all you see if a black background

Features:
    -Very awesome app. Gives your iPod a one-of-a-kind look. 4.5
    GUI:
    -Simple layout, easy to set up and customize. 4.5
    Audio:
    -Having audio on a video ringtone is pretty cool, but can get annoying having music/sounds playing all the time. Other than that, there's not much left in the sound category. 4
    Reuse Value
    -This is one of those visual apps that you will probably keep forever! I will never get tired of having an animated wallpaper! 5
    Value For Money
    -This is a free app, but even if it were to cost $5, it would definitely be worth it. There is no other app that allows you to have a video as your wallpaper(other than Winterboard). 5

Average rating: 4.6

Based on iPod touch Fans Official Scoring System

Do I recommend vWallpaper? Heck yes! It has got to be the most intriguing and amazing visual app you can get for your iPod, next to themes. It's free, so if for some reason you don't like it, you can just uninstall it keep moving.

I have a video that is waiting to be edited and uploaded. I'll get it done as soon as possible, so stay tuned!

Hope you all enjoyed my first review. Any questions, comments, concerns, etc, are appreciated.

Thanks, maxx

Attached Files:

2. IamMartin

IamMartin Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    great review! will definitely try this out.
  3. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Amazing review! I will try this.
  4. Just_For_Now

Just_For_Now Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    isn't this the same as applying them in WinterBoard?
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Excellent review. I'll do a front page for this and schedule it to go out soon.
  6. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I thought Cydia Store ment that it was a paid for package on cydia... hmm
  7. maxxdout

maxxdout Active Member

vWallpaper allows more options than just using a wallpaper.mp4 (or.mov) in winterboard.

And iPod Touch, you are totally right. I'll change the topic name right away as this is a free app and technically isn't in the Cydia Store.

Edit: Can I please have a moderator remove the word "store" from the title? Thanks!
  8. LilCrazed

LilCrazed New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    good review ima try this asap