Cydia Keeps Crashing :'(

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by LBtheWise, Sep 11, 2009.

1. LBtheWise

LBtheWise New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hey everyone,

Today i started having a problem with Cydia whereas it keeps crashing when trying to start. So, I browsed around searching for a solution. I read that I should delete the repositories that are stored in my iPhone.

So, i downloaded iPhoneBrowser v. 1.9.1.0, browsed to "Private/lib/apt/lists" and deleted the repositories there.. Still, however, Cydia kept crashing upon startup.

so, i copied the cydia.log to my computer hoping that some knowledgeable people might be able to decipher what exactly is going on with my iphone. Here is what the log says

although this log seems to tell me what the problem is and how to fix it, I really have no idea how to do what it's telling me. Perhaps someone here might know.

I wait for your reply and thank you in advance.

btw, I am running firmware 3.0.1 on an iPhone 3g
  2. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    SSH in it and open up a terminal window and enter this command
    dpkg --configure -a
  3. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    ScribeOne,

I have iFile.

I am having problems over at this thread.
  4. Rockinryguy

Rockinryguy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    search mod please close
  5. BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    dont listen to him lol but ya everyone has been having trouble with cydia as far as i can see i had the same thing so i restored and jailbroke again it fixed it there might be another way but thats how i fixed it
  6. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    nerd1010111, helped us over at this thread.

I went to the link he suggested, and found this reference "navigate to /private/etc/apt/sources.list.d and find cydia.list"

If you have windows, use iFunBox freeware: use the Copy to PC feature.

Make a backup copy.

Edit with Edit Pad Lite freeware.

Then, make a Copy from PC.

I used iFile (found in Cydia) and it was easy: I removed the david.ashman repo there.

This is what was making me "go in circles" with Cydia. Either the URL was bad or I no longer had all of the packages because I deleted some parts, or all, in iFunBox, but the "cydia.list" has it listed in there, and so, Cydia kept looking for it.

In fact, I think these "errors" come from making deletions in SSH or iFunBox or iPhoneBrowser, etc. and not from Cydia/Packages, because there are other files and locations to make deletions overlooked.

I am relatively "new" to the jailbreak, having only had it since 2.2.1

If someone has more insight about the problem, more information would be welcome.

In the recent past, many people have simply "refreshed" the cache, by deleting specific files, and then, having Cydia download the cache.

It is important (imperative) one file not be removed. I will look it up here in the forum.

Do not delete an entire cache. If I don't find the thread to link it here, first, you find it first.

edit: Here is the link and the reference:

note: forget the uTube video: the clear cache tool is no longer available.

do it manually using SSH, but do NOT delete the PARTIAL folder.
    /var/lib/apt/lists

Thank you, iDakota.

I know one more explanation for problems: If a source's server goes down, we just have to be patient.