Cydia is just awesome - I just wish saurik could fix these little annoyances.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by SmSpillaz, Jun 27, 2009.

1. SmSpillaz

SmSpillaz New Member

Hey guys,

So I noticed that with all the Cydia v Icy threads going around, I thought I might point out that cydia is yes, just awesome - it uses all the advanced functions of APT, does proper dependency handling, diff downloads etc. I just wish saurik would fix these little annoyances.

1) Unecessary loads / reloads

I understand the point of the 'loading data' screen when Cydia first starts - it's to load the package lists from APT into a ListView. This makes perfect sense but it could probably be improved.

Firstly, the amount of loading that is done, I would estimate is far to much for what is required. If I cancel a refresh - I still have to wait for Cydia to reload the APT lists into a ListView. For the initial first few repos it comes with, this is fine, but when you have like 10^4 themes from BigBoss' repo it can take quite a while. Suggestion - don't reload unless you absolutely have to. Second suggestion: don't reload everything in one go - only initially reload any _new_ package groups and new packages / updates. Then, as I browse through the categories, populate their ListViews as I browse. I might have to wait a bit as I hit the list view, but at least it won't be as long as loading everything at once for one little package. Finally - caching the list views on disk so APT queries don't have to be done all the time might be useful too.

2) More graceful handling of download failures

If there were some way to keep the WiFi radio on while working and autolock is on, please do enable it =). Secondly, when a download fails I have to deal with 2 things: 1) I get a wave of error messages (about 20) complaining of communication errors. In fact, on 3.0 I've just been getting blank messages. 2) The entire download process then stops and I need to reselect all my packages again. Annoyng. 3) If any packages did require a respring, I am _forced_ to do that respring, there is no way to close Cydia. Very annoying and also dangerous (respringing where dependencies haven't been met).

3) Caching of WebViews

I get rather annoyed when I have to sit there and wait for saurik's server to respond to my request. That page doesn't change much - so it might be worth caching it so it displays right away and loading the real one in the background. Same thing goes for package views - I might see something like ' SBSettings Move common toggles into the spr...'. Into the spr... what. That looks interesting - I might click on it. *click*. Oh, damn I have no internet connection. Now I have no idea what this does. Or, oh damn, now I have to wait for the page to load. Caching the WebViews will also cache the ads and frankly it's only a few MB's of diskspace.

Well, that's pretty much it for my rant/suggestions =). I hope saurik see's this - Cydia used to be really good (none of these issues) back in the 1.x days.

I do apologize in advance if Cydia already implements most of these suggestions - I've only had a chance to see the fraction of the code so far. (Yes, I am a programmer).

-Sm
  2. taxbax

taxbax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I second everything said above and add these.

I was excited to see the reappearance of Queing downloads but alas, it still does not function correctly. Queing pretty much will always always crash cydia for me. then i have to deal with the loading data all over again. Installing multiple apps without upgrading a batch of them is so annoying, especially if one wants you to restart the springboard and then you have to go through reload and relaunch and deal with everything just to install the next app.

removing apps from the upgrade list without upgrading.
    more responsive searching

That's it. otherwise its frigin amazing, blowing away all the competition!

ps. if Saurik actually reads this thread, can we please get a working Scrobble app?!?!
  3. SmSpillaz

SmSpillaz New Member

From a programmer's point-of-view that's not really something that can be alleviated easily. APT provides quite a lot of metadata and even if saurik tweaked the search algorithm to be more efficient, that doesn't solve the fact that you have quite a lot of package entries in the package database and you are working with a 400~ MHz CPU

I don't think he's in charge of that.
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The refreshes are actually useful in the long run.

Plus, Cydia refreshes a ton faster than Icy does. The only thing Icy has over Cydia is its speed, but if you're installing more than 5 apps, Cydia is faster. You just queue them all and install them at the same time.

I agree with the forced resprings. It's really annoying when I forget to queue an app and have to refresh and wait for Cydia to get all loaded up.
  5. SmSpillaz

SmSpillaz New Member

Well, yeah the refreshes are fast of course because they use diffs (through APT).

I'm speaking of the 'loading data' / 'reloading data' screens. I suspect that's when Cydia gets the APT package list and loads it into a list view. It could be broken up in the ways I suggested =)

Well, yeah - for the reasons I stated above =). BTW, I never really liked the concept of Icy - it's kind of like the evil RiPDev that we know and love trying to say "don't worry - we'll just steal someone else's idea and create a more botched up version of it so that it looks faster". It's competing for the sake of competing instead of actually doing something useful (although it has made us realize there are faster alternatives to APT).

I agree with the forced resprings. It's really annoying when I forget to queue an app and have to refresh and wait for Cydia to get all loaded up.[/QUOTE]
  6. taxbax

taxbax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i am pretty sure he co developed the scrobble app.

queuing never ever works for me, always crashing.
  7. SmSpillaz

SmSpillaz New Member

Ah fair enough - I stand corrected. (Scrobbling doesn't really matter for me anymore - I used to be a chronic last.fm user but I got screwed over when they only made it free for people in .usa .eu and .de. I would pay for it considering it's that awesome but I don't actually have any means to. That, and projects like libre.fm are looking much more interesting to me now)