Cydia Installs Random Packages?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by moosh, Aug 5, 2008.

1. moosh

moosh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So I was looking under manage within Cydia.. and I saw that there was about 50 files there that I DON'T remember installing. What's the deal? What the heck is ATP and all these other files. Are they necessary or can I uninstall them?
  2. Mr_iPod

Mr_iPod Member

dont remove them. they come with cydia and they are there for a reason. i, myself, am not quite sure but dont remove them.
  3. Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Cydia unlike installer needs other packages to run. ATP is the packaging program that Cydia uses... I guess it's some command line tools or something. Just for your sake don't remove them. Remove = Restore (or a non working Cydia)
  4. Eztli

Eztli New Member

Those are all base packages that make Cydia and probably some of the programs you install through it work.
    APT is used to install software.
  5. h_picko

h_picko New Member

Keep them!
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Those packages, when combine, make an extremely powerful subsytem that Cydia and many other apps (jailbroken and non) runs on. They replace the lackluster BSD that comes on the iPod, and if you uninstall them, you will be left with no subsystem, and most apps will cease to works.
  7. mlbplayer456_is_back

mlbplayer456_is_back New Member

install them. these are tools that make cydia more stable and just more efficient. some of the apps on cydia REQUIRE them. cydia has a built in bsd subsystem so that is good and it supports many more scripts than installer. but I'm sure installer will catch up
  8. SteveO

SteveO New Member

same concept as .NET framework
  9. moosh

moosh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Gotcha.. wasn't sure. Used to using installer. I like to know what's being installed and whatnot. Thanks.