Cydia crash to springboard on startup

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by RileyBen, Nov 25, 2008.

1. RileyBen

RileyBen Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My cydia keeps crashing on startup since this update.
    I have run the apt commands
    apt-get remove cydia
    killall SpringBoard
    apt-get update
    apt-get install cydia
    killall SpringBoard
    I do not want to restore and I do not know why cydia keeps crashing. I have set the folder permissions to 777 and it still fails.
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Have you ever run Cydia since the jailbreak? As in the first startup which Cydia requires in order to organize the folders? If this didn't work even the first time, I'd suggest restoring the iPod and setting it up as a new iPod to make sure that there's no junk data in the system to cause issues, and then rejailbreaking so as to install a fresh copy of Cydia.

If you HAVE run Cydia and it ran successfully the first time, but won't now, have you done so after doing a simple reset after fully powering down the iPod? Did you install anything before Cydia began crashing, and does it go straight to the SpringBoard or does it go to MobileSubstrate Safe Mode? Depending on what the issue is, you may have to restore and rejailbreak if it crashed during the first run-through (used to organize folders), especially if it doesn't reinstall via MobileTerminal.

Also, what errors (or messages) do you get when you reinstall Cydia through Terminal? Does it say it successfully installed, or does it give you some sort of error?
  3. RileyBen

RileyBen Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i have been using it fine for days. It gives no errors in terminal. It occurred only after I changed the Applications folder permissions to fix other apps. All other apps work except Cydia.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    the terminal told me it could not delete /var/lib/cydia so i manually deleted it. I tried opening cydia and I got to the screen to choose what you are. dev, user, etc. after choosing it then crashed.
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

You should NOT have deleted /var/lib/Cydia. At this point, you'll need to completely reinstall Cydia, which means manually getting the files somewhere and then SSHing them back in, or just rerunning QuickPwn. If you rerun QuickPwn on an existing install, it should just reinstall Cydia and leave your other data intact - but you may have to reinstall applications. Nor should you have changed the Applications folder permissions to 'fix' other apps - what issues were they having?

This is, to put it in Windows terms, something akin to deleting /Windows/System32 in order to fix a minur problem - basically an action that'd require a complete reinstall of Windows. I'll be honest - I don't think that just repwning will fix things, and being able to copy Cydia.app and all its files onto the iPod probably won't help you, now you killed /var/lib/Cydia. This sounds like a 'restore and rejailbreak' situation.
  5. RileyBen

RileyBen Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah i realized that. I was going to just restore and do it. I don't have much stuff so it will not take a long time. Thanks for your help though.
  6. neo-tech

neo-tech New Member

Hi,

I have the same problem and tried reinstalling it too. I haven't deleted that file because I know it's important. Anyways, is there a way to fix this?

Neo-Tech
  7. DanElectro

DanElectro New Member

I have the same issue, i changed the permissions on my /applications once and the "su root" process with re-installing cydia, which doesn't work either......???

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. neo-tech

neo-tech New Member

I'm trying some things which have been posted in this forum, search for Cydia crashes.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Still no go after trying many things, please help!! ;(
  9. DanElectro

DanElectro New Member

Yeah, I've tried everything I could find as well - I've uninstalled cydia with the terminal on my touch, and I found that the only source (in the installer) that has cydia doesnt work. I've tried re-installing it through the terminal as well, with no change to anything after it was done and i reset and everything.

any help would be appreciated

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. neo-tech

neo-tech New Member

Damn, when I run apt-get update I get an error on apt.saurik.com , something to do with a bad signature.