Cydia Confusion

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by RatPackSopra, Mar 21, 2009.

1. RatPackSopra

RatPackSopra New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I recently Jail Broke my 2nd Gen and I like the plethora of options it brings to the table such as tons of software, cool appearance tweaks and just loads of things to play around with, but... it can be a bit confusing navigating what appears to be a SEA of info out there. I've spent HOURS reading, but when you get into a lot of the threads on the forum you figure out very quickly that this "hobby" is ever evolving and is in a constant state of flux. Directions that addressed things a couple of months ago can be out of date. Simple things like loading all of the sources bring back errors about "size mismatch." Links that worked a month or so ago are out dated. Full length (VERY well laid out) detailed road maps to make things easy are somewhat out dated because things that have changed since they were very laboriously put together. I've even went to youtube in hopes of finding current easy to follow info on loading all the sources, but alas I find myself back in cydia installing sources one at a time and I'm not positive that I'm even doing it right from there.

I searched for "size mismatch" on the forums and found a lot of people asking about the error, but no info on what to do about it ...could someone shed some light on how to currently get all the sources loaded? They may already be loaded on my Touch and the error messages are just confusing me, but then what else is new ...I've spent a bit of time wandering around confused about what my options are in the jailbreak world so far, so this would be nothing new.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I followed the link from the main screen in Cydia where it has <More Package Sources> and I have about 30% or so of the packages already installed since it asks if I want to modify them. I assume if it's asking about modifying them then I must already have them installed. Every time I install a new one it throws up an error

http://apple-news.fr
    http/1.1 404 Not Found

with an Okay choice below it. What's that about?

On another note I'm wondering about Installer ...I notice there is not a lot listed there, but if I try to load links that I've seen they have not worked either. Maybe someone can help me out with this stuff.
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

The HTTP 404 error means you have installed a source that no longer exists or is temporarily down. 404 means that the directory doesn't exist. It's always been that way, not just for iPods, but for the entire internet.

Size mismatch is something on the packager's side. If they mess up a package, that's the error you get. It's not your fault, and it's always been this way.

When it says Modify, it'll give you options to reinstall and remove. It means that package is already installed. Cydia has always been this way.

The guides are not outdated. It's always been this way.
  3. RatPackSopra

RatPackSopra New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks for the quick reply! The first thing I want to say is ....thanks for all the hard work you put into your guides, they are put together very impressively, but in fairness some errors are not mentioned in them. I was not trying to be insulting in anyway what so ever! I'm sorry if you took any offense, but I can assure you there was none meant at all and in fact I mentioned the guides being VERY well laid out in my first post.

I'm aware that 404 means it's a dead link. LOL I've been around the net since almost the beginning, but it seems a bit odd that I would be getting that error while I was DL'ing a software update. I can follow that there is a lot going on in the background when the package is being installed ...I'm into linux, so I'm familiar that there is more going on than pressing a button, but when I got the error I had no way of knowing if the error impeded getting all the info from the source. I assume that has no bearing on getting all the info.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've seen multiple versions of cydia and installer in youtube videos, so it can be a bit confusing knowing what error relates to what. I'm not the first person to get confused over this and I highly doubt I'll be the last. LOL

As far as the Size Mismatch message ...when I get that error does it affect getting all the info? If it's just a simple error message then it's not a problem, but if info is being missed then I would need to reinstall it.

Thanks again for your help!

It would be sweet to have an active chat to swap info and correct misconceptions. There was an IRC channel, but it appears to be gone from freenode does anyone know if there's another channel out there that deals with jailbreak topics?
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Nope, the IRC is still here.
    Feel free to come into irc.freenode.net #ipodtouchfans for some discussion and clarification. You should also try http://ipodtouchhelpdesk.com, although usually there are no operators to help there.
  5. renosafricanos

renosafricanos New Member

http:/ 1.1 404 not found

pls help me about this.. i'm trying to install a programm from cydia and it's telling me that http:/ 1.1 404 not found! what i have to do to solve the problem??