Cydia Backup All Feature.

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by carpz, Nov 22, 2008.

is it a good idea?

1. Yess!

4 vote(s)
  2. No. stupid idea.

0 vote(s)
  3. It wouldnt be do-able.

1 vote(s)
  4. I dont get it.

0 vote(s)
  1. carpz

carpz New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I just had an idea, with all this 'jailbreak 2.2!' buzz going around.
    I thought, hmm if there is a jailbreak for 2.2 released, its going to be a pain to have to reinstall everything.
    I thought, what if there was a feature in Cydia that you would use if you were updating your firmware and it saves all the thing you have downloaded and all your sources into one file.
    but it doesn't actually save the file contents, just the name or something.
    then you would SSH in and save that file to your computer, after updating you can put this file back onto your Iphod and use that same feature but in reverse and it would download and install all of the applications and sources you had in your previous firmware.
    now i know people are going to say ' but what if the application you are installing isn't supported by that firmware'
    well it could also determine your firmware version and only install the applications that are compatible with that firmware, and even update an old application to a newer version to support said firmware.

I also know people will just give me links to applications for your computer to backup the applications and its contents, but i think my way would be better because it would only install compatible applications and also pdate the application, also you wouldn't have to deal with not beng able to uninstall applications and stuff because when you use computer based backup tools, it doesn't tell cydia that it was installed, meaning you cant update or uninstall that application through cydia.
    This feature would be implemented through cydia so it would work seamlessly with each other.

does anyone think this is a good idea?
    and is it do-able?
    and maybe we could get into contact with saurik and pitch the idea to him?
    maybe he would implement it in the next update,
  2. SLLhotD

SLLhotD Member

Apr 4, 2008
    and about it being do-able...i don't know because I'm not experienced in working with code
    but still great idea and you should send this to saurik and he might do this