Cydia and Installer

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Frozen72, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Frozen72

Frozen72 New Member

Is it possible to manage apps from both Cydia and Installer in one program/app. I hate having going to Cydia to uninstall a app to find out that I have to (try) to uninstall it with Installer.
  2. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No, Cydia uses APT as it's back-end, while Installer uses it's own, closed-source packager, which is incompatible with APT.
  3. EMForce

EMForce New Member

...............................which would cause a whole in the space time continuum
  4. Elric

Elric New Member

Just do what everyone is doing, delete Installer. It's sh*t.
  5. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Or learn what Beta is, take as much of Installer's current features as you can, while you keep Cydia, and stop bashing Installer just because it's not finished.

Why are people so intolerant?
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

You need to read the following:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=879253&postcount=25

Ignore the flaming/angry parts, but just get the idea. Just because it's a beta doesn't mean it can totally suck ass.
  7. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Indeed, but Installer doesn't "totally suck ass".

It's got pretty much every feature Cydia has (plus you can install more than one thing at the time), does freezes, but, at least for me, it it freezes even less often than Cydia crashes (and I usually check sources for both every time), and has potential to have every app Cydia has (though that's up to the repo's managers).

For me, the only reason Cydia beats Installer right now, is because repo managers add more stuff to their Cydia repos, and still, I don't go telling everybody "Just uninstall Cydia/Installer because it 'totally sucks ass!'"

Both of them can work in a single iPhone/iPod, it's not like you have to choose between one of them.
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

I'm not telling anyone to uninstall it, why give up one when you can have both?

I don't know why your Cydia crashes, but my Installer freezes with 6 sources when I get halfway down the "All Packages" page and there are suddenly 45 tasks and it's loading all the icons. It's a dumb system that should never have been implemented and will now lead to unfixable crashing and instability because of the loading system. I don't need to see all the glossy shiny icons while I'm scrolling to download a package, I just want to see a short amount of information and the package name in big ass letters.
  9. Elric

Elric New Member

I haven't had Cydia crash once. Not sure what's wrong with yours. But Installer just adds very few of the apps (and not even current ones: re Qik). And usually a week after Cydia. I can only have 4 sources, and it STILL freezes. I understand it's in Beta, but by the time it's in Alpha, firmware 3.0 will be out.

Why do we need 2 of the same thing? They are both free, it's not like it's a competition. I say give up trying to "fix" an inferior product and join teams. A LOT more can be accomplished.

Also, if it's Beta, don't give it out, test first.
  10. cacman93

cacman93 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    uh, beta.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    It seems like me and you are the only ones that know what a b*tch bug fixing is, and what a beta is. Everyone else are like children who are like, MOMMY I WANT MY COOKIE NOW!!! STOP WHINING AND JUST GIVE IT TIME. all those people who are whining about installer shouldn't be able to use it when the final comes out.
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Um, beta 6 is a lot better.