customize

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by gza864, Oct 16, 2008.

1. gza864

gza864 New Member

HEY

I downloaded customize from cydia but when I push the icon.. it opens and closes itself right away... :S I restart it but it keeps doing the same.. I even uninstalled it and installed back and same thing

I have 2.1 firmware
  2. beeshabo

beeshabo Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yeah!! Customize sucks, it's doing it to me too...hopefully they update it, because I do use it, but only for editing system strings.....but as of right now, just un-install it, it blows!!

Download WinterBoard, it's way better and it can do the same things as Customize, but it's better, because it works!!!!!!
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Search "Customize 2.1" or just read the five threads RIGHT BELOW THIS ONE which discuss the exact same thing.

As noted, Customize has been borked since July, and doesn't work right with 2.1. It crashes right away or crashes after saying that it can't connect to the theme server if you have no local themes.
  4. beeshabo

beeshabo Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I agree!! please search before posting, Jarlath is right, there's TONS of threads on the same thing "Customize Doesn't Work"

EDIT: Well I just started Customize, it works fine, can't download themes nor use it to apply themes, but I can edit system strings!! that's all it's good for anyways
  5. Jarlath

If you don't have a local theme, it won't even start up - it'll just say that it can't connect to the theme server and you need to do so to get going. And has been noted 50 times on this board, WinterBoard CAN edit those strings, and in a non-permanent way. There's already-created String files for you to use on the Tutorials forum.
  6. gza864

gza864 New Member

a local them? well I am already using winterboard.. and I have a theme on.. is that waht you mean?..
  7. frightenedcow

frightenedcow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    someone NEEDS to remake customize like they did with summerboard into winterboard.
  8. Jarlath

Customize 2.0 depends on contacting a remote theme server to show previews of themes, to download new themes, or to check for any updates to existing themes. When you first start it up, it registers itself on that theme server to get a theme for you to use locally. If you don't have a theme for Customize installed locally, and it can't contact the theme server (which these days it usually fails to do), it closes out saying that you don't have a local theme and it can't reach the server.

These are different from WinterBoard themes. And as I noted, if anyone had bothered to read, there are themes which change the SpringBoard.strings file so you don't even need Customize to change those.