Customize the Customize App!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by darkchicken50, Nov 7, 2007.

1. darkchicken50

darkchicken50 Member

For the file i made, email me at darkchicken50@gmail.com with the subject as customizecustomizer. Thanks

Okay, onto the post.
    I am just a newb, but fiddling around with all the plist files i could find led me to realise i could do things.... amazing things!(lol) Im sure to the disdain of the creator, i have edited my customize.app so that the springboard strings that you can edit directly from the touch are now available to be a fully inclusive list of ANY string from springboard.app that you want the freedom to edit...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://a387.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/102/l_2765ffb4bee2bec40dc9abeb7eec7c7a.jpg

http://a7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/72/l_0398e4ebda6511542fe84a00d7f98cbe.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as an example, if you look at the above pictures and compare it to your screen you may notice i have added a few more strings to edit.
    Of course some of you may find this useless, don't criticize me as i do this in my spare time and am simply offering my inventions to you guys (although im sure this has been done)

So, step by step heres what you do to put in the one available by above email address:
    Make sure you have ftp access to your ipod (duhhhh)
    Go to private/var/root/media_sym/applications/customize.app -- and go to the settings folder
    Replace the stringEditorViews.plist with my file (or email me and ill send you a guide on how to add as many strings as you want)
    Restart springboard (i.e, shut down ipod/change something in customize so it restarts for you)
    Open up your customize app to springboard strings and have a quick look for the new editable strings and go for your life!

I added the dismiss button, sync in progress, slide to cancel, shut down cancel button, and the thing that comes up when you get the password wrong.

Enjoy
  2. darkchicken50

darkchicken50 Member

Furthermore

Furthermore i can also change almost any string in any application, not just the springboard.app/english.Iproj/SpringBoard.strings ones, all applications have certain plist files that i am becoming more and more acquainted with, which means i am able to edit almost any string on the entire iPod in almost any application...

I have made an example picture for you guys to take a look at if you want, i changed the thing in the passcode lock settings from "turn passcode off" to "turn off" -- yea its insignificant, just a proof of concept pic, to show you guys i have the power!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://a264.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/73/l_988816dd5fc70477a97fbea2aea2e427.jpg
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Compare it with yours and you will notice the difference. The only thing is Customize.app cannot be edited to allow easy changes to these strings ON the iPod itself, it has to be done on a computer and then reloaded into the iPod as binary. But its still a pretty quick process once you get used to it and get used to what your looking for.

Drop me a line with comments/questions
  3. acfusion29

acfusion29 New Member

Pretty sweet. I'll do this when I get customize to work, which at this rate will be never.

Why don't you just attach the file to your post? It'd be easier for everyone.
  4. darkchicken50

darkchicken50 Member

Dont know how, cant be f***ed, etc. Plus if people email me it allows me to talk directly to them, and im not a huge fan of forum chat, it gets a bit messy. Email is my thing. Heh.

So drop me a line with what you think i should add and stuff and ill try to get it done when i can

If your customize just isnt loading, keep opening it and touching the screen randomly and it should start working after about 3-5 goes, most of the time thats how it works for some reason
  5. acfusion29

acfusion29 New Member

I've tried that, and I just gave up

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. darkchicken50

darkchicken50 Member

Duracell Battery ad

NEVER SAY DIE!

Dont give up my young padawan, just keep doing it, if it works on one touch it will work on all of them unless you have something strange interfering with it but i highly doubt it. It should be fine, just keep trying it man, just touch randomly all over the screen and keep opening it until it finally starts up
  7. Fatfrank

Fatfrank New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I agree, same happened to me, I was almost ready to give up but then I noticed the Customize screen finally replaced the angry chicken
  8. anus

anus New Member

hey how'd you open customize?

every time i try it just crashes
  9. darkchicken50

darkchicken50 Member

You have to pat the chicken, make him feel loved.... basically just tap everywhere all over the screen and keeeeep on opening it and it will keep crashing for about the first 5 or 6 times, just keep going though, once it has opened properly you dont have to keep tapping around n sh*t, it will just work from then on.

But yea, dont give up, pat the chicken, he needs love to work his magic!

Drop me a line for my stringeditorviews.plist file and if you want any buttons changed in other applications just ask me and ill see what i can do

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. 3CKO

3CKO New Member

lol been doin that for a month dont work for me