customize not dead... according to site

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by SOXWHO, Jan 20, 2009.

1. SOXWHO

SOXWHO New Member

Customize Development

Hi all. I have some exciting news. I'm working on making Customize compatible with the 2.2 firmware version, and will continue to make it compatible in the future. So many of you have been emailing me, and I have been reading the emails (even if I couldn't respond), and it is clear that Customize is still needed. However, to make Customize viable I will need to make some changes. I will be discontinuing the Premium version of Customize. I will also be making a lot of website changes in order to speed up the server response.

I need to ask if anyone has server space that they would share. It needs to be a dedicated server with a fast connection. When I asked before there were many very generous offers that I could not take advantage of. However, it seems now we should be able to make something work. Please let me know if you have such a server and are willing to share some bandwidth.

http://customizeapp.com/web/
  2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

turn off all sources of internet from your device, then try it. thats the only way Customize works for me.
  3. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Its not needed at all.

Winterboard is far more advanced.
  4. giannaros

giannaros New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yes... Customize was good only in 1.x.x
  5. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    But customize is still needed for system strings
  6. giannaros

giannaros New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Only for system strings
  7. 1YNQMWQVHZ

1YNQMWQVHZ Active Member

Actually, I will delete customize today..
    I don't care about strings!!!
  8. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Do that with winterboard...Yes i may take that little longer but its much better.
  9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    This could be good. Imagine winterboard with a customize like UI and being able to download and preview themes within the app and before you apply them.

Then again it could be crap if he just ports the old customize to the newer FW's. The way themes are applied and filed within customize the way it is now is just ass.

Customize needs to be rebuilt from the ground up for it to be usable and to out do winterboard.

Another note, why would he host the themes on one server one source? Why not give customize the ability to add sources? This will reduce all the server headaches.
  10. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

See "How to remove 'Slide to Unlock' string in Winterboard" in the Tutorials forum for a quick and dirty tutorial (and an example theme) on editing system strings with WinterBoard. The main issue I would have to say Customize possesses is that it not only replaces system files (which means that you can potentially FUBAR your other.artwork up, but that it is DEPENDENT on a remote theme server to function and add themes, unless you're willing to manually create each and every folder, name each and every file, and then SSH them in.

When the theme server's dead, or effectively so (as it has been since July), the program itself is worthless. That's the other reason WinterBoard took off, IIRC - you could actually get themes for it via Cydia (and add your own sources for themes, or just download a ZIP file and then SSH or copy them to the right spot), and it didn't depend on a remote theme server to start even if there were no themes on the iPod.