Customize help on version 2.x

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by footballfan7469, Nov 9, 2008.

1. footballfan7469

footballfan7469 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    All right well i think this is the right section, idk but what ever. I have searched this trying all kinds of different words and stuff but i couldn't find anything.

OK so I'm just wondering how to get customize to work on version 2.1? Like every time i open it, it just crashes, i have set the permissions to 755 on SSH, uninstalled then reinstalled. And that's about all i can think of. So yea anyone know how to get it working? and don't say "use winterboard" cause winterboard is freaking gay, i like customize better. so yea any ideas.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

And calling a program "gay" isn't? Beyond that, there ARE no real solutions - the Customize servers haven't worked right for months, not since Spicy Chicken released it onto public repos... and it doesn't work right on 2.1 because he hasn't updated it since July. You also need to have a local theme in the Library/Customize2 folder in order for it to load up without immediately crashing, as if it doesn't have any themes stored on the iPod it'll just shut down saying you need to connect to the theme servers... which you can't connect to.

Basically, there's no fix when nobody's working on the program anymore and nobody has access to the source - it's become the Installer 4 of theming programs, especially with its crashing issues. And you'd have to be a complete moron not to be able to figure out how to use WinterBoard, especially with themes available on Cydia to download (you just click the theme, select the Install button, and you're done - you only have to select the theme in WinterBoard and you're finished).

Otherwise there's one solution for you - SSH into the iPod and manually copy and replace each and every file you want to change the picture for. That's what Customize did for you, and what it can't do right now. WinterBoard just changes the stashed icons, rather than directly replacing the files.
  3. Simondude56

Simondude56 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well his avatar basically backs up everything you just said.
  4. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol nice
    and yeah
    customize is terrible now
  5. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

spiceychicken just vanished off the net, he would pop up every now and again in the customize support forums but around the very beginning of august he just stopped logging into the forums so you can class customize as dead and buried. I believe there is a way to download the themes off the server direct via browser but I cant remember how.
  6. Jarlath

You go to the theme in question with your desktop browser and save each and every file, one at a time, into the right folders in Customize... setting up a folder for each program (Weather, etc).

Or you give up and go onto WinterBoard which does it all for you and which doesn't have a ridiculously complicated folder structure.
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    WBapp is great for mixing up and combining themes. You can do the same things with WBapp as you could with customize.

Everything except system strings *cough* http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111290 *cough*

*cough* We need a system string editor app! Its a pain to do with wintorboard. *cough*
  8. Jarlath

What do you mean it's a pain? You turn on a theme and you're done. Now, if WinterBoard included a default 'Strings' theme to play with, it'd be better, but...
  9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    exactly you have to make a theme with all the strings you want changed, upload it to your themes folder and all that mess.

Much simpler if we had an app to do it. Like the system string option in customize2.
  10. applepod0123

applepod0123 Banned

customize and installer 4 can jump in a hole and die