Customize app on iPod 2G (jailbroken)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by lobosmike, Apr 1, 2009.

1. lobosmike

lobosmike New Member

HELP !

When i launch the Customize app and go to the theme browser I get a pop up that says:
    "Files no found. Customize could not find the required files to run offline. Go online and run Customize to update the files."

Aand when i try to download a new theme i get the same pop up.

i am new to jail breaking and the customize application
    what am i doing wrong or what am i not doing?

thanks in advance
  2. Zavonn

Zavonn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, it seems whoever's in charge of Customize isn't putting much time into it anymore. Customize used to be all the rage in the 1.1x firmwares, but now it's kinda phasing out, so if you really want custom themes and such, use Winterboard. At first it may seem like Customize has more flexibility and personalization, but by sshing into your ipod (/Library/Themes), you can mix and match icons/bundles/UI's from other themes (or create entirely new icons) and create your own custom theme.
  3. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    use winterboard. the only reason i use customize is to download what ever i want then i ssh into it and move whatever i downloaded into winterboard. then i delete customize. but customize doesnt even have anything good to download.
  4. lobosmike

lobosmike New Member

Gotcha
    Ive been doing some reading around and now know the whole customize situation...
    The only thing is that i would still like to be able to edit STRINGS through customize.
    a "Failed to save string" message will pop up when i attempt to save strings.
    Ive been reading post and what not and many people with the 2G are having the same problem. any suggestions?
  5. Zavonn

Zavonn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I was previously able to edit my strings about a month or so ago, but when I tried to recently, I got the same error (and I'm on a 1g). I'm pretty sure that you can edit them manually through some file editing though.
  6. thewuse

thewuse New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I would forget about customize since everything you could do with customize you can easily accomplish with winterboard, if not with a little tweaking. I know about two strings and how to change them with winterboard those being the text on "slide to unlock" and the text on "slide to poweroff"

First create a folder on your desktop called slider text (doesn't matter what you call it)

Open that folder (slider text) create another folder called Bundles (B must be caps)

Open that folder (Bundles) create another folder called com.apple.springboard

Open that folder (com.apple.springboard) create another folder called en.lproj

Now open notepad and copy and paste these strings exactly in and edit them

"AWAY_LOCK_LABEL" = "type whatever you want here";
    "POWER_DOWN_LOCK_LABEL" = "type whatever you want here";

Now save the notepad as Springboard.strings into the en.lproj folder that is located on your desktop (slidertext->Bundles->com.apple.springboard->enlproj)

Once you have that all correctly saved and all the folders setup, you need to SSH into your ipod /private/var/stash/Themes.mWpixU and drag and drop the slidertext folder set into the Themes folder. Then go into Winterboard on your ipod and check it off to activate it.