customize 2.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by xxsnoopxx, Oct 9, 2008.

1. xxsnoopxx

xxsnoopxx New Member

i jailbroke my itouch to firmware 2.1 n whe i open customize it says "installing customize" but then it sends me back to my springboard. it kicks me out evrytime i open it
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    I have heard rumors Customize is about done. Just use Winterboard and saves yourself lots of trouble.
  3. Atl

Atl New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Same thing happens to me. I just wanted to change some System Strings. I use Winterboard for the themes and whatnot.
  4. josexi

josexi New Member

ya same thing here, does anyone have an older version?
  5. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    I don't use customize anymore, it's a waste of space as far as I'm concerned. WinterBoard is simpler and is more compatible. Not to mention it saves a bundle of space!
  6. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

You can't use an older version with firmware 2.1 - it just doesn't work that way... and the SERVERS which it has to connect to often don't - connect, that is. You'd be better off sticking with WinterBoard at the moment - you can skin anything Customize did, and change system strings.
  7. Atl

Atl New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Earlier today, it worked for me. I was allowed to change my Lock Screen. So either it's "fixed" or I was lucky. I wasn't able to get any themes or anything like that though.
  8. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

You can change your lock screen to any saved themes already local on your iPod - but you can't get new ones... or update existing ones. If you try to update, it'll start the download, and then stop - which means when you try to apply that theme, there's nothing to apply... and it can screw up what graphics you have on the iPod in the process.

WinterBoard, in contrast, doesn't overwrite those files - it just replaces the cached versions in memory, which means it's much safer to use. Plus, you can SSH themes in or get them from Cydia.
  9. Atl

Atl New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    In my last post, I meant the "Slide to Unlock" system string. I use Winterboard for everything else.

Sry 4 confuzin.
  10. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    To change that you just go to
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj and edit Springboard Strings and Change the AwAY_LOCK_LABEL to whatever.