Custom Skins on DinoSmash Online

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by BMatt, Jun 1, 2009.

1. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    After downloading the latest update for DinoSmash Online, I thought about something. One of the new features is multiple skins for your "Dino", and after a little checking, there is a folder in DinoSmash.app containing all the skins.
    Here is the main folder I'm checking out, navigate to DinoSmash.app, and from there it is /DinoSmash.app/dinosmashdata/skins. Here is the layout:

skins
    +bodies
    -+<.png's for the Dino's walking>
    +grab
    -+<.png's for the Dino's grabbing>
    +hand
    -+<.png's for the Dino's hands>
    +heads
    -+female
    --+<.png's for the triceratops typed Dino>
    -+male
    --+<.png's for the horned Dino>
    +idle
    -+<.png's for the Dino's standing still>

In all of these folders except "bodies", there is one image for each skin (in "bodies", there are 30 for each skin, because that is the Dino in motion). I will modify one of these skins to the best of my ability, and then I will test it online. I'll need a member here who has the game to get in a game with me, and check to make sure the skin works online (just to be sure). I don't work with Winterboard much, but I know madcowz has a Fieldrunners cheat that is enabled through Winterboard, but I'm not sure if the same can be done here. I'll post when I'm finished, and again when we find out if it works online.

UPDATE: Thank you to xFinch713x, who has shown us that the modded skins will not work online. This gave Radish the idea to mod weapons to have Aimers on them, that only WE can see! After modifying the basic pistol weapon to have a red aimer extending from it, I tested it in-game, only to see that the game resizes the image to the original size, giving the aimer no use. After searching the DinoSmash.app folder, I found a reference to the image in question, dino_pistol.png.
    This is the only mention of the image in the app. Can anyone help us?
  2. Samm

Samm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Awesome. I will check online with you if i have time

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It's gonna take awhile to completely modify a skin, the walking part of the skin has 30 parts. I may just modify the head to check if it works.
  4. Samm

Samm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah yeah good idea (Y) i cant do much.. Im on holiday in spain at moment

5. xFinch713x

xFinch713x New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    they wont be able to see it. its all local, and it will only be local. All the skins are stored on each device and not online (which is why you can edit them). What it does is "link" each png to that of the other people online, so, this means if you are using, lets say, skin 3, and its edited on yours, we, playing online with you, will see our skin 3. If we play as skin 3, you will see your edited skin 3.
  6. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Oh, ok. That's good... I only modded part of a head so far... At least I didnt get too far into it. Thanks for clearing that up, Finch.
  7. xFinch713x

xFinch713x New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yup. welcome

i know it sucks, but better to figure out now rather than later :\
  8. geonsteelers

geonsteelers New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for posting this. I really wanted some customization on DinoSmash.

Good Job and thanks once again.

9. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Can you skin weapons? Cause if you can, you could draw a straight line from the weapon as a kind of aiming guide. That'll probably help while playing.
  10. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    And it would only show for you... SO NO ONE ELSE WOULD KNOW!!!! YAY, CHEATING! I'll look into it. There's a bunch of things you can skin in it.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I need input. Should I modify the weapon images to be longer than they are default to add aiming utilities, or cut out part of the weapon and leave it at the default length?