Custom PC or iMac?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Vince, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know the answer for most of you obviously is going to be a custom PC. Let me just explain the situation.

Before the summer's over, I plan on buying one or the other. I currently have a MacBook Pro, and I love it. But I want my own personal desktop. I was really leaning towards the 27" iMac that costs $1999 but let's face it...that's a lot of money. The display is absolutely beautiful though. I plan on dual booting both Windows 7 and Snow Leopard (possibly going to tri boot with a Linux build as well) with Windows 7 primarily being for games while Snow Leopard is basically for everything else. So basically a comp geared towards gaming would be good. I've never built a computer, I really don't know anything about hardware, and I don't really know anyone who does but I want to attempt to build it myself if it's not terribly difficult. I guess actually any Mac would do, I'm definitely not spending over $2000 on it though.

So I guess what I'd like is your opinion on which to do. I guess for a custom PC (or hell even a non-custom PC, but I know customs are way better) my budget's up to $2000, but preferably I'd rather not spend more than $1500 (including a monitor, anywhere from 20"-27" please). I'd need a complete list of recommended parts (including monitors), and I can probably research what they do etc on my own (I have no idea why I have so little knowledge of hardware). Basically if it's a custom rig I just want the thing to be as beastly as possible. Oh and at least a 1TB HD.

Summary: I tend to be a little wordy, so I like including summaries. Choose either iMac, Custom Rig, or PC. If it's a custom or PC, please include the price. If it's a custom rig, please include all the parts needed. I don't like polls.

Thanks a ton.
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I recommend building a PC and installing OS X on it.

You can easily build a PC with more power than the iMac for $1500.
    Of course, it won't have the display... But it will run fantastically.
  3. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    iMac. Think different.
  4. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think that you should build the PC with OS X on it too. More power and less expensive, and if you want to sometime in the future once you save up you could get a 24" cinema display, in fact on the refurb store they run for $599, so you could save up some. In my case, i have hooked up my 27" iMac to my gaming computer, it looks and runs amazing. So go with the custom PC. Just my 2 cents

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Recommending you buy the iMac, no PC can rival the beauty of the iMac and especially when OS X is optimised to work with its hardware.
  6. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Build a PC, then hackintosh.
  7. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
  8. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Couldn't agree more with the beauty of an iMac, especially when you combine a superfast gaming PC to the gorgeous 27" iMac

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, he defiantly doesn't want to spend $5,300+
    Although the iMac does look nice.
  10. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch