Custom Genre Cover Artwork

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Shawa, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    When I first installed iTunes 8, I was playing around with the new "Squares" view. I navigated to the genres tab, and was greeted by a nice set of artwork, in the style of its respective genre.
    If you listen to obscure music, and sort by genre, most of your genres will have no artwork. With some .PLIST editing, and a bit of creativity, you can add your own artwork for any genre you like. Note: This guide is for OS X only, I have no access to iTunes for Windoze, so If anybody running Windows knows a 'port' of this, I'll gladly link to it.

Step -1 - Backup
    Backup your iTunes.app. Before doing any editing to anything, always back it up. If something goes wrong, you can just replace the .PLISTs & resources.

Step 1 - Image editing
    Find/Create a suitable image for your desired genre. I'm going to be adding Chiptune, so I suitably have a modifyed screenshot of SMB1. Although you can use any image dimensions, I recommend keeping it square; If it's not, you'll get letterboxing, and nobody likes letterboxing! Save the image as "genre-XXX.jpg" where XXX is your desired genre.

Please Register or Log in to view images

This is what I'll be using

Step 2 - Implementation
    A. Right-click iTunes.app in your Applications folder, then click "show package contents".
    In the iTunes.app foler, navigate to Contents/Resources. Place your "genre-XXX.jpg" in The current directory.

B. With your desired .PLIST/Text editor make the following modifications to "genres.plist":

Find any <dict> block that looks like this:
    Code:
    [COLOR="Blue"]<dict>
    	<key>[/COLOR]matchString[COLOR="Blue"]</key><string>[/COLOR]alternative[COLOR="blue"]</string>
    	<key>[/COLOR]resourceFile[COLOR="Blue"]</key><string>[/COLOR]genre-alternative.jpg[COLOR="blue"]</string>
    </dict>[/COLOR]

Duplicate it, and make the suitable modifications to point make iTunes link the right genre with the right image. (Again, I'm adding Chiptune) :

Code:
    [COLOR="Blue"]<dict>
    	<key>[/COLOR]matchString[COLOR="blue"]</key><string>[/COLOR][B]chiptune[/B][COLOR="blue"]</string>
    	<key>[/COLOR]resourceFile[COLOR="blue"]</key><string>[/COLOR][B]genre-chiptune.jpg[/B][COLOR="blue"]</string>
    </dict>[/COLOR]

Save the .PLIST, close it, then restart iTunes. Now, whatever genre you chose now has a companion image.

Yay! I has custom artwork!
  2. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice find! Trying it now.
  3. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Cool, gonna try it. If i dont die XD