iOS 3.1 Custom firmware vs. update firmware THEN jailbreak

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Zerozx, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Zerozx

Zerozx New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Is either one better than the other? Having the regular firmware and THEN jailbreaking it, or just using a simple shift+click restore using a custom firmware and then you're finished. Does the custom firmware have any negative sides?

Basically, is one better than the other? pros/cons?
  2. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Jailbreaking means access to the root partition so we could add customizations to the system and generally "improve" it.

AFAIK, custom .ipsw files were only for iPhones. It was a 3.0 baseband with 3.1.2 files (since 3.1.2 came with a new boot loader, and only for "Late 2009" iPod touches and the iPhone 3GS).

I would go with blackra1n on this one.

Edit: The custom .ipsw is probably made by someone with a hobby and the official .ipsw is made by Apple Inc. Hmmm... I'm not saying the hobbyist didn't know what he was doing, I'm sure he did an excellent job. It's just that the official .ipsw is definitely made by people who do this for a living, and did it before for previous versions (and have experience).

So I think official firmware + jailbreak is better than restoring a custom firmware from iTunes. Pros and cons ? I remember the 3.1.2 changelog saying there's a speed-up in boot time. It's probably the new bootloader. Cons ? None that I can think of...
  3. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    go with blackra1n
  4. Zerozx

Zerozx New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  5. Jam...

Jam... New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I agree with zDSpider its best to have the newest software that is quicker and maybe more reliable than have 2 different pieces "bodged" together, they are not designed to be compatible... It maybe coincidence that they are, and there may also be bugs in there.

The custom ipsw was for the days when the bootloader had not been cracked... once it had been cracked there was no reason to use a custom .ipsw anymore unless maybe all other jailbreak tools fail. Then you need to find a tool that works and use it, if that means a custom .ipsw then so be it. there is no definitive answer on this jus use whats best for you.
  6. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I like my custom firmware but you need to jailbreak 3.0 with redsn0w first so yeah probably use blackra1n