Custom Brushed Stainless Touch Case (PICS!)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by noipodtouch, Apr 7, 2008.

1. noipodtouch

noipodtouch New Member

Hey all, i've decided to make my own custom stainless steel ipod case. This is a fully( well almost) enclosed case to provide drop protection and of course scratch protection. Here are some EARLY pics. please be aware that neither of there prototypes is a finshed product, or was ever intended to be. these are simply prototypes i made to test the process's which i'll need to do to make it. As such they are very crude. But feel free to comment about how bad they look all you want!

Please Register or Log in to view images

the first proto. My hope was to create the entire thing out of one single, bent peice. But while the sides were easy, i couldnt cleanly bend the top. proto failed. As you can see, the top is quite mangled.

The second proto came out much better. This time in 3 pieces tig welded together. The sides, top, and bottom are all separate. I'm quite happy with how this came out.

Hopefully I'll have a brushed stainless final version up here soon. I think its going to look quite awesome. Please add any comments.

2. super51fan

super51fan Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i want to see what it looks like on the ipod
  3. saysay

saysay New Member

That's cool except there's always going to be 6 sides and it's always going to be boxy until you can weld corners or something. How I do edges is I bend it slowly around a marker or other kinda cylinder and it makes perfect curves every time.

Mind telling where you got your metal though? I bought brushed Al and it was pretty expensive stuff especially when a lot of people somehow get metal for free all the time.
  4. meloyo

meloyo Member

looks like a piece of tin u just bended lmao
  5. hockeypanda32

hockeypanda32 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    how will you touch the return to springboard button, the metal covers it lolz
  6. noipodtouch

noipodtouch New Member

i used a 3/8 piece of round rod to bend the bottom around. You can sorta see the result in the fourth picture. It makes the case look similar to the touch, with sharp corners on the front, and rounded out in the back. And i work in a metal fabrication (ie welding) shop, so yeah, i can get any metal i want for free.

7. HotBrownies

HotBrownies New Member

the corners are really sharp looking, the home button is covered, i've guessing the power button is too, but i'm not sure, and you should put some liner on the inside, cus i wouldn't want it scratching my ipod to hell. nice base though
  8. noipodtouch

noipodtouch New Member

this is a prototype. the final product will have a cutout for the home button, power button, and maybe the wifi corner ( not sure if the metal will interfer with the signal.)

will it IS a piece of tin i just "bended" lmao
  9. saysay

saysay New Member

well then, send some to mee.

lol

oh yeah if you used the rod then how come the metal is all bust up?

10. castro.

castro. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    i like it, [+] rep for you..

be sure to make an indent for the home button