Custom Boot Logo question for Untethered

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by palyons, Mar 11, 2009.

1. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Ok, I have an important question regarding custom boot logos for the Untethered Jailbreak. So far the only way I'm able to get them to work at all is with the PNG's packaged with QuickFreedom 1.1.0, and those appear to be transparent but with little black pixels all around the transparent spots.

So far all of my logos (which worked perfectly fine on my tethered jailbreak before) with a solid background color or any other solid color absolutely refuse to work whatsoever. I have also tried Exosion's FirmwareBundle and I get the exact same results.

My question is, what exactly do I need to do to a PNG to get it to be recognised properly for an Untethered Jailbreak? What software, what settings should I use when saving, 8-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit, and exactly how do I make the PNG's transparent properly?
  2. alzir

alzir Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The white pixels and "no background" go away as soon as you use it. It just sucks that you have to re-jailbreak if you want to change the boot logo again... LogoMe doesn't work.
  3. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    For me it does not work AT ALL. I need to figure out some way to make my 24-bit pngs be transparent with all those black pixels in the image.
  4. madcowz

madcowz New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    not really. you can nor-only restore with a new boot logo set. the logos are in blah.ipsw/Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n72ap.production/applelogo.s5l8720.img3 so you can just replace the file made by pwnagetool and then NOR-only restore.
  5. squish

squish New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do you need to use PNG's? Have you tried saving as a JPEG? Total JB beginner here but I'm not sure. JPEG's are a lot more popular. And the whole transparency thing usually only works with certain overlays.
  6. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    OK, can we PLEASE get back on track here? So far no one has even responded at all to my question at all.
  7. Veritas06

Veritas06 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I know there used to be a size requirement of <100KB. Let me take a look at mine to see the details...
    My Recovery Logo: 320x480 | Bit Depth: 32 | Size: 106 KB
    My Boot Logo: 320x480 | Bit Depth: 32 | Size: 55.6 KB
  8. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    It's nothing to do with size, I have logos that worked perfectly fine on my tethered jailbreak that absolutely refuse to work now. The only ones that seem to work at all is 24-bit single-color transparent PNG's. And I have no idea how to make them. Photoshop is worthless for this, it can only create 8-bit PNG's with single-color transparency.

New update, finally figured out I was doing wrong. But it does however turn out that in order for the images to work they have to be transparent. Anyway now for a similar question... Say we want logos with an entirely different background color other than black to fill the entire screen, how exactly would we overcome this? The reason I ask, being that if the images have to be transparent, all the surrounding area around the picture would end up being black, or would appear that way on the 2G.
  9. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Well anyway I figured out how to do what I was trying to do in Photoshop, have to go choose Indexed Mode, and choose black for the Matte, but one thing I still don't get. Is there a workaround to make the background color any other one aside from black? This by the way pertains to Untethered jailbreaks, not Tethered.
  10. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

I found a solution to help with my boot image...

In photoshop, all I did was duplicate the image (usually called background in the layers tab) and then delete the original, and "save as..." a .png file. This worked with an image that didn't have a solid black background