Curious about making GUI?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Judas5435, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Judas5435

Judas5435 Member

I really love those GUI that i believe pwnage(some others too) does with its sleek interface and animated movements when you make a custom firmware.

I'm really intrigued about those flashy GUI, what steps would I need to make one myself?
  2. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's funny, because PwnageTool has a very non-conventional UI. It should be split into sections that are available from a top bar (like Artist, Album, and Genre in iTunes 8's grid view), instead of clicking forward over and over. In addition to that, the firmware selector is very strange (the weird highlight it uses), and you can't drag images into the boot logo wells (which is VERY odd). And, what can be said about the gross pink popups? Eew.

Also, the little animation of the pieces of firmware going together are just a ton of images in an animation. To see for yourself, go to /Applications/PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources/BuldingIPSW.

It all comes together nicely, but it could be done a lot better.

Making a basic GUI on a Mac is pretty easy, just drag and drop with Interface Builder (in the Developer toolset). It's connecting it to your code and writing the code that's difficult.
  3. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I personally love the simple GUI of Pwnage tool.
  4. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's not exactly simple--look at iLibertyX. That's more of how it should be: split into sections. Having to click through sections you don't even need is kind of strange. It feels un-Mac-like to me. I don't hate it or anything, but it could be a lot more intuitive.