Creation of jailbreaks.

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Cryptiik, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Cryptiik

Cryptiik New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi,

I'm a C++ programming (primarily, although I code in loads of other languages too) who is very interested in jailbreaking (and hacking in general (although I havent actually done a lot, only little injector projects and things)).
    I'm very interested in the actual process of jailbreaking the iDevice (more in actual applications like the Spirit jailbreak (not so much like JailbreakMe)).
    I have a few questions about the creation and use of the jailbreaking software.

1) How do they find the hole in the first place? Lots of testing? (if it's testing, then how do they test these things).
    2) What are the jailbreaking programs usually written in?
    3) Where can I learn more about how I can manipulate flaws and holes in programs? (I know quite a lot of C++ (and started learning some ASM) but don't really know how I would exploit a flaw in a program).

Regards,

Cryptiik
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Read everything you can on http://www.theiphonewiki.com. Look up anything you don't understand.

Wikipedia is good source of information on vulnerability and exploitation methods (in general, not limited to the iPhone). Also, the legendary http://www.phrack.com/ is an excellent resource for learning (again, not specific to iPhone hacking)

also, continue to learn assembly...I assume you're learning x86(-64) now? Unless you've taken a "RISC" (lol, sorry) and started to learn ARM.
  3. Cryptiik

Cryptiik New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    *brains explode*
    xD I only learnt a little bit of assembly as it confuses me

Please Register or Log in to view images

. Not a clue what I was actually learning, just learn a bit off of some forum posts on a hacking forum I used to be active on.

I figure many of these hacking forums (which are suprisingly difficult to find) must have a lot of good learning information actually.

As for finding the exploits, I'm still clueless.
  4. Shengis14

Shengis14 Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    If you are interested in finding exploits for the iPhone, you should download posixninja's greenposi0n tools, there only in source but there not that difficult to compile ( at least, I managed it )
    Can't give links cause it's against the rules
  5. crazytrain320

crazytrain320 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I tried to compile them and it just gave me a bunch of error codes. I tried it on Ubuntu 10.04. How do you compile them?
  6. Shengis14

Shengis14 Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    I have nearly ever dev tool and library for ubuntu 10.04
    All I had to do was make and make install, same for the frash I compiled
  7. Cryptiik

Cryptiik New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have ubuntu on the laptop I plan to do a lot of development on

Please Register or Log in to view images

. However I get tonnes of errors when trying to compile greenpois0n dioxin.. I tried tweaking various times, downloading some other headers (which im not really sure where to put (im new to linux systems), so I just used locally in the program folder).

I would appriciate any help with any other headers I might need to compile (which I've tried through Code::Blocks and simply through typing "make" when im in the correct dir).

Regards,

Cryptiik
  8. Shengis14

Shengis14 Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    There's tonnes of dependencies, i have a lot of libraries, see if you google "compile idevicerestore on ubuntu" there's a tutorial on this forum about it and I think that gives you a few of them
    I actually on my iPod the now and I have school in the morning, when I get back I'll log onto
    Ubuntu and see if I can be of anymore help
  9. Cryptiik

Cryptiik New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ah, thanks for this; I can now compile libdioxin successfully!
    I assume for the executable file generated to do anything I need to have an iTouch/iPhone plugged in, so I will have to wait until I return from my holiday before I try this (I didn't think I would need to bring my USB cable).

I understand that dioxin is to "help developers design awesome userlevel jailbreaks"; but how does it acheive this? Does it help me find exploits (if so, then how does it help me find these?)?

Also once it finds exploits is there any tutorials online that can help me figure out how to use my programming knowledge (I assume I would need low level such as C++ & ASM) to exploit these flaws?

Regards,

Cryptiik
  10. crazytrain320

crazytrain320 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    when i compiled libdioxin all it gave me was the exe called test in the folder i compiled in. When i ran it it put my ipodtouch into recovery and it wont come out of it.

EDIT: nevermind. I just used the tinyumbrella to kick my device out of recovery withouit having to restore.

Does anyone know how to compile the other greenpois0n tools because no matter how much i try i keep getting errors