creating new picture albums via termnial

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by webmastir, Aug 6, 2009.

1. webmastir

webmastir Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've searched around other threads, most are 2+ years old. Anyway, w/o the help of iTunes, can i create new picture albums & scp/sftp over images into the newly created albums ....& it show up properly on my touch? (by doing all this via Terminal app from cydia. yes i know how to scp/sftp. i just want to know if it's possible w/o involving itunes bs)

Please Register or Log in to view images

thx in advance
  2. iTouchGuru

iTouchGuru New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is there a Photos.app?

Fish around on WinSCP (or your SFTP Client) until you find something pointing to Photos.app. When youre inside see if you can find a .plist file, from there maybe you can create an album.

Ill look up on it.
    Doesnt iTunes let you create new albums?
  3. Dr. Rambo

Dr. Rambo Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    You'll have to look in the /var/mobile/media folder I think. I believe that's where images are stored, but like iTouchGuru said, look for a plist in MobileSlideShow.app (I believe that's what the folder is called)
  4. webmastir

webmastir Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well try that out. thanks guys.
    yes, itunes can create them i think, but i run linux. i hate having to boot to winders just to use taht 1 program. (i get lots of bluescreens when i try the usb passthrough to vmware for some reason)
  5. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    When iTunes copies folders over to Photos.app, it also converts them to a proprietary format. You'll need some way of converting the images as well as making new albums.
  6. webmastir

webmastir Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    awww...that makes sense.

thanks.
  7. iTouchGuru

iTouchGuru New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I checked out the SSH on Media/Photos and Media/DCIM and its pretty complicated.

Its filled with no-extension files that I try to open with notepad but lock up my computer, and I have 8GB RAM.

Theres absolutely no hint to the way iTunes does it.

In another folder in /Media, (cant remember), theres three files names PhotoFolderName Preferences or something like that. Tried editing them but its all jibberish.

I did find the names of the folders inside one of them (had to copy it, and rename it to xxx.TXT. Its jibberish but you see Saved Photos, and bla bla bla. Tried changing them, respringing, but it didnt do anything.

Inside APPLE100, I saw my pictures, but I have no idea why the folder is called APPLE101, because the folder name on my iPod was Saved Photos.

I tried creating directories too but no luck.

I guess you just have to use iTunes.
  8. webmastir

webmastir Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    sounds good man. i really appreciate the effort