Creating my own theme?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by Kenmichi, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Kenmichi

Kenmichi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi everyone, I just joined the forums because my 2G 32gig iTouch is in the mail, should arrive either today or tomorrow, I'm very excited!

If anyone is familiar with the game World of Warcraft, there was a rather extensive UI to modify. I spent hours upon hours modifying every tiny bit of my UI, I even had some followers on my designs. I have not played WoW in 2 years but I do miss being able to work on UI designs. Obviously doing themes for the iTouch is a lot different but I feel like I'd pick up on it quickly if I really focus on it.

So where do I start? The only thing I know to do is jailbreaking the iTouch, after that I don't really know what to do. Last night I was reading a thread that had a list of the size dimensions for app icons and wallpapers, but I can't seem to find it again. Will custom images need to be created in photoshop then uploaded to the iTouch? What sort of limitations are there with making custom icons?

Also, when I'm uploading themes do I need to use my computer? Especially if I'm starting my own from scratch?

What applications are essential to doing a completely custom theme? I know Cydia and Winterboard are common but that's all I'm aware of. I'd like to be able to customize the status bar at the top (I think it's iNav that has a pair of headphones for the iPod icon, I like this very much), remove text from application names on the home screen, and just generally customizing everything that can be modified. What exactly does Winterboard and Cydia allow me to do?

Please forgive me if these questions have been answered, but I'd like to have all my questions centralized to make it easier to reference when I need them and to expand upon my questions.
  2. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Long question, long answer. So:
    First jailbreak, then install Winterboard.
    I suggest photoshop for designing themes but GIMP works too. If you want a theme to be entirely your own, you will have to start from scratch. Although, when you start out I suggest you take a complete theme (iComplete from cydia) and modify it, take the dimensions and the names (names are really important), and mix and match other themes. When you get the hang of that, start making your own.
    Remember, its all about three things.
    -Design
    -Dimensions
    -Name of the file
  3. Kenmichi

Kenmichi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I understand design and dimension, it's more or less building an image from scratch within certain sizes. But what's important about the name of the file? I read a thread about .png files and making 17 files for putting the battery charging image on the lockscreen! Can anyone elaborate on that for me, I would appreciate it!

When I was learning how to design UIs in World of Warcraft that's how I learned, by taking existing UIs and rebuilding them. Is iComplete a really simple and basic theme to build off of?
  4. cjschriver3

cjschriver3 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    almost everything you see on the ipod is a .png image

if you make your own images you can apply them with winterboard

the names are important cuz if you don't spell/capitalize the .png names correctly and put them in the proper folder, they won't be applied

17 images for the battery charger on the lockscreen take you from dead to fully charged and everything in between
  5. Kenmichi

Kenmichi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for your help.

I'm assuming the file names I'm looking for are in folders in the iPod. Do I access them via my computer in manual mode? Can I just pull those files out of those folders, edit them in photoshop and replace them? Assuming it's an image, of course.
  6. Ralzaider

Ralzaider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes. Once your iPod is jailbroken, you can SSH into it using a program like WinSCP.

If you're ever looking for themes, there are tons of amazing ones here.
  7. Kenmichi

Kenmichi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh I know but I want to make a specific theme around my favorite video game and anime show, Valkyria Chronicles. I figure it shouldn't be too hard but I can't say for sure until I start working on it!
  8. Ralzaider

Ralzaider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Good luck

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Kenmichi

Kenmichi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you Ralz.

Now for text, how do you change the text and names? iPod in the top left, the words on the lockscreen? Is there an app that lets you or do I have to alter a file name? And is there a SSH program for mac?
  10. Ralzaider

Ralzaider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Cyberduck will allow you to SSH into your iPod on a Mac. Here's a guide on how to get it working.

To change the "iPod" text in the top left corner, download MakeItMine off Cydia.

To change the lockscreen words, you need to SSH to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj and copy the "SpringBoard.strings" file on to your computer. MAKE SURE TO MAKE A COPY OF THE FILE IN CASE YOU MESS UP!

Next, convert the binary to a readable format here.

Now you can edit whatever strings you want to.

Ex: AWAY_LOCK_LABEL
    slide to unlock

can be changed to

AWAY_LOCK_LABEL
    unlock me

Then just SSH back in and replace the file.