Creating iPod Touch webclips for other websites

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mfrey40, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mfrey40

mfrey40 New Member

As posted by me last night on MacRumors.com:

OK, so I don't have the iPod Touch yet, but I'm getting one for Christmas (Thursday!!!) I'm really excited about it and after reading everything about the iPod Touch that is to be found I'm now containing myself by downloading apps, podcasts, preparing bookmark links, etc, so that within an hour of my opening it the iPod is fully ready to go with all of my content perfectly customized to my every desire.

One of these is web links on the home screens. I think this is a great feature because obviously the iPod Touch's keyboard, through revolutionary, is not the preferred keyboard for entering in mail.google.com/a/sahuarocrew.com every time you want to check your email.

One dilemma- though the Google site above might (I don't know yet), most websites do not provide the 57x57 coded image for the iPod Touch's webclip. I think one of the huge reasons the iPod line has been so successful is the concept of everything about it being refined and just looking and working perfectly. Having a bunch of webclips without custom icons just seems to go against that. In fairness, I haven't seen them yet, but I'm really not too hopeful.

I looked online and was able to find guides on how to create an icon for my websites, but not other people's, my predominant use for them. If I had a master password for the entire internet I could just go in and edit their source code myself, but since I can't I have to get creative.

I designed a very small bit of html code to solve the issue. Basically the idea is if you put this file along with the icon you want to display in a folder on an extra ftp server it will create a redirect that has a delay of 0.001 seconds. This means that it will show the page you created for less than a second (it depends on how fast your browser executes it) and then take you to the site you actually want to visit. In theory, if you bookmark the page you created and then create a web clip of it, the iPod will be tricked into taking your webclip but still taking you to the page you want to visit.

Here's the code:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>TUSDStats</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0.001; URL=http://tusdstats.tusd1.org">
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/tusdstats.png"
    </head>
    </html>

I'm not any good at coding either, so I have no idea if this is any good or if it still has bugs. I know the redirect works, but since I don't have the iPod yet I have no way of testing the webclip.

Here's a link to the page I created. If anyone wants to try it out and tell me if it works, go right ahead. Otherwise I'll wait until Thursday.

I should note that I made the png image 58*58 on purpose, I've read that making them larger is better. No idea if that's true, but the iPod should automatically scale it to the correct size.

I also wonder if you would be able to bookmark the page fast enough before it redirected to the actual page, which would do you no good as the iPod wouldn't pick up the icon. That might be solved by setting the redirect time to 5 or 10 seconds, adding the bookmark, then updating the page back to .001, or whatever you prefer. Again, not sure if that would work, but it's worth a shot.

Hope you find this useful, and if you'd like to give it a try go right ahead!

P.S.: Here's a link to a version that redirects after 10 seconds, in case you are trying to try it out and it redirects too quickly. Enjoy!