Creating custom 2.0 on WindowsXP using XPwn

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by DamianII, Jul 22, 2008.

1. DamianII

DamianII New Member

Creating custom 2.0 on Windows using XPwn

How to create custom iPod 2.0 firmware using XPwn on Windows.

If You are unsure about console - no-idiot-proof method DON'T try this, Jailbroken 2.0 is not worth the risk at this time.

I will use here examples strictly for iPod firmware 2.0.

1. Download latest XPwn binaries for windows from official dev site:
    http://wikee.iphwn.org/news:xpwn_release

2. In downloaded zip file should be “XPwn-0.3.1-win32” folder, extract its content to “C:\XPwn\” folder.

Make sure it is 0.3.1 (or newer) not 0.3.0.

You should find there file "ipsw.exe" and folders "bundles", "FirmawreBundles" (and others).

3. Locate firmware 2.0 ipsw file (iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw) downloaded by iTunes. It is in "[User App Data]\Apple Computers\iTunes\iPod Software Update" (or something similar). (Or from anywhere you got it, I don’t whant to know from where

Please Register or Log in to view images

) Copy it to XPwn folder (C:\XPwn).

3a. If You want to load your custom boot and recovery images prepare them now, otherwise skip that point. Both images should have dimensions 320x480. Save them as a regular png image files. Boot image as “C:\XPwn\boot.png”, recovery image as “C:\XPwn\recovery.png”.

4. Start command shell (Start->Run->"cmd", or Start->"cmd"->Enter on Vista).

5. Go to XPwn folder (type "cd C:\XPwn")

6. If you don’t want to change your boot and recovery images type:
    Code:
    ipsw iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw iPod_2.0_Custom.ipsw bundles/Cydia.tar
    Otherwise, if you prepared custom boot and recovery images in point 3a type:
    Code:
    ipsw iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw iPod_2.0_Custom.ipsw -b boot.png -r recovery.png bundles/Cydia.tar

7. It will take a while to create custom firmware file.

8. When windows prompt come back ("C:\XPwn>") the work is finished and you should find new custom firmware file "iPod_2.0_Custom.ipsw" in that same directory (C:\XPwn).

You can use one of others tutorials on this forum to write it to device using 1.1.4 winpwn method, alternatively You can try below method, that don't requires downgrade.

---- Writing new firmware to device using XPwn and DFU (without details)----

When above operation succeed:

9. Make sure your iPod is disconnected and iTunes is turned off.

10. Like in point 8, type in cmd:
    Code:
    itunespwn iPod_2.0_Custom.ipsw
    It should finish quickly, when succeed:

11. Connect iPod and put it in DFU mode (no pre-pwn required). Use device manager to check if iPod is really in DFU mode (device name in USB branch should have “DFU” as part of its name).

To put iPod into DFU mode:
    - Connect iPod with computer, if it just switch on wait until it boots.
    - Turn it off in normal way (hold power/sleep and move slider), let go button and wait for it to turn off completely
    - Open Windows device manager and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers branch, this will be you control window
    - Press and hold Home button, while holding Home press power/sleep button for one second (like you would normally switching it on), then let go power/sleep, but still hold Home button.
    - Wait, holding Home, for about 5…10 seconds, iPod display should stay turned off, but in Device Manager “Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver” should appear in USB branch (or similar name depending on iTunes version and/or language).
    - Now you can let go Home button. iPod is now in DFU mode.

12. Open iTunes and shift-restore, using “iPod_2.0_Custom.ipsw” file.

EDIT: Updated for XPwn version 0.3.1
  2. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice post. I'll test it out now.

3. iHaVEnOmMrS

iHaVEnOmMrS New Member

4. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Crashes on me on "start create restore options"
  5. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Created the custom firmware, I'm scared to try it though, I've never put a firmware on an iPod through the command line, and being the first to test it definately doesn't help. xD

Can anyone test it?
  6. iHaVEnOmMrS

iHaVEnOmMrS New Member

I will test it within the hour, and report back.

//ihavenommrs
  7. DamianII

DamianII New Member

Only for pre-pwn, not for ipsw app.

That same happened to me on vista, and when "-nobbupdate" switch wasn't present, dont know why.
  8. Help_Me

Help_Me New Member

If I do this will i lose all my apps i bought from appstore?
  9. iHaVEnOmMrS

iHaVEnOmMrS New Member

Alright testing now. Question though, do we need to have iTunes and the iPod connected at the time we start?

//ihavenommrs

[EDIT] I just went looking in the bundles folder and I saw boot.png and recovery.png. Any idea on how to get those in the firmware?

[EDIT2] Stupid me, I forgot the readme. Here's the code to have your own boot image:

ipsw iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw iPod_2.0_Custom.ipsw -b bundles/boot.png -nobbupdate bundles/Cydia.tar

and change bundles/boot.png to your image.
  10. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

I'm on XP and tried the command exactly as you have shown it, but it still crashes for me.