Creating a charger for the Touch

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by steeped, Nov 20, 2007.

1. steeped

steeped New Member

I was reading a few tutorials on creating a portable charger which will charge my iPod on the go.

How many volts does the iPod Touch take? I bought a solar charger which worked perfectly on my video but didn't work at all on the Touch because I don't think it has enough power. And I also don't wanna fry my iPod. Is it 5v?

Thanks. Once I successfully make this, I would be sure to post a step by step tutorial for noobs here.
  2. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes it is 5v. I am unsure about the current required though. I think the Touch requires a higher current than other ipods because i had a charger I could use with my nano and it won't work with the touch. That charger was 350mA. So I guess the touch needs ~500mA.
  3. 123456

123456 Banned

4. steeped

steeped New Member

Yeah, that method works. Just soak an Onion with holes into gaterade for 30 min or so and BAM you got a home made charger. Only problem it only gives u an extra 30 min or so with the Touch if your lucky. I am still in the progress of making a real charger, but its not too easy. I don't wanna fry my iPod so I am taking no chances and making sure everything is perfect before I finish it.
  5. iKuro

iKuro New Member

USB hub (powered) $6 USD works too!!! XD
  6. steeped

steeped New Member

I am trying to make a portable charger, a USB hub just gives me extra USB ports on my computer - not to mention a hub slows down the ports like crazy.
  7. iKuro

iKuro New Member

mm no an USB HUB (POWERED) will charge your ipod too and it's not necesary plugged to your PC XD
  8. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  9. steeped

steeped New Member

If I connect a 9v battery straight to my iPod, will it fry?

If it will, what kind of resistor should I purchase?
  10. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

I'm pretty sure the touch has a voltage regulator circuit that can accept up to 30v, check the fine print on the back. But just to be safe, don't. And it's at about 1 amp. Don't use a resistor, use a voltage regulator,they are much more reliable. You can get them at RadioShack for a few bucks each. There is an Instructable for a USB charger.

Edit: Here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-USB-Charger-Version-2.0/