Create a simple app, please help

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Rockstarou812, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Rockstarou812

Rockstarou812 New Member

Okay I hope you don't get mad from my total n00b question, but I would like some pointers on how to achieve this.

I want to create an app with a home screen (MainWindow.xib) and 10 seperate windows to enter. All ten windows will be entered from the home menu. I will also need to add a back button on each of the 10 pages.

I know I will need 10 new nibs, but do I also need to create .m's and .h's for all of them? Because thats creating 30 more files for such a simple concept.

Please help me, feel free to ask me to clarify anything I explained poorly

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

this can be achieved easily through code instead of interface builder, with a UINavigationController and a UITAbleView
  3. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah. You also will not need 10 .xib files, or 10 header files (Although, depending on what's on what, it might be smart).
    Look through the sample code on Apple's website for UINavigationController and UITableView.
  4. Rockstarou812

Rockstarou812 New Member

The app will be very graphical with the windows the menu goes to also being very graphical, doesn't that require me to use IB?
  5. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nothing requires you to use the IB. Everything and more can be done through code.
  6. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

apple has an example piece i believe titled drill down
  7. Rockstarou812

Rockstarou812 New Member

Another question:

I have a button, I want it to go to another nib, how do I do that? I gave it a UIButton class in the inspector, I get confused with all the control clicking different stuff. Please just a nice explanation

8. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Even better:
    http://www.vimeo.com/1450817
  9. cocotutch

cocotutch Community Development Team Staff Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    So Stephen.4 helps this fellow...ok...im confused now

I had this exact problem, 10 XIB's are a bad idea, simply create one big XIB, such as "YOURAPPViewController.xib" and create multiple UIViews and initialize them with names such as "MainView" and "SecondView" and so on. This would then allow you to create a very large/complicated UIView file, with loads of UIView Transitions to the next view. Make sure you wire up the Back buttons with the reverse BOOLEAN in the Code directly to the same Action in IB. This would then automatically switch back to the view you were previously at. UITableViews are very hard to use for beginners (yes, I don't like the word "n00b") and I would stick to UIView Animations which pull up and add the other view as the SubView until CALayerTransitions (which are impossible) that Push the views from Left or Right to the next one smoothly - take a look at MMP (MobileMusicPlayer.app).

Hope this clarifies things a bit for you OP, see....im nice

cocotutch
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

CATransitions are not impossible, you're just not trying hard enough. Look at this thread: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137518

Yes, that's a NavigationController, and yes it's a CATransition.

As far as the rest of this thread, it bored me, so I skimmed over it. I don't know what your problem is.