Crazy Battery Drain Problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by virtualone, Jun 9, 2008.

1. virtualone

virtualone New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have an 8gb 1.1.4 jailbroken with ziphone. I have about 30-35 applications installed. Today this battery thing happened to me again. I was just browsing safari during class, then I am pretty sure I put the ipod to sleep then stuck it in my pocket. I have auto-lock set to 1 minute anyways so even if I didn't put it to sleep manually it should have done it itself. When I took it out about a half hour later, it was turned off and I had to hold the home and power button at the same time just to turn it on. It didn't go into restore mode but just booted normally. When I got to my home screen my ipod just showed that I had 10% battery remaining. Before I put it away the battery was atleast half maybe two-thirds full. This is about the third or fourth time this has happened to me. It scared me the first time because it wouldn't turn on unless I held both the home and power buttons.

What do you guys think is my problem here? I hope its not some massive internal error that is extremely battery hungry or something. Anyone had something like this happen to them?
  2. deadfire55

deadfire55 Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    is ur ssh or wifi off, they drain sooooo much power, if you don't know how to turn them off, install boss prefs and there is a switch for both of them!
  3. iHAX

iHAX Banned

SSH draines alot of power

fully restore it and send it to apple

they will probaly give you a new one
  4. RubyJewelStone

RubyJewelStone New Member

Something like that happened to me too, and then when I turned it completely off a few times over the weekend, the problem went away.

SSH is off, and I always have wifi on. I didn't do anything to it except charge it back a few times whenever it drained itself in sleep mode. Then by the time the weekend was over it was completely back to normal, and I did nothing special to it.

Any chance that that problem will come back?
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The iPod touch's battery can charge to 80% in approx 1 and 1/2 hours, while it takes 3 hours to charge to 100%. With that said, the portion of the battery from 100% to 80% takes much longer to drain compared to the drainage from 80% to 10% or so.

Contributing factors to battery drainage are:

1) Leaving Wi-Fi on. Turn it off when not in use.
    2) Screen brightness; keep it low when possible.
    3) Applications running in the background.

Applications constantly run in the background even if you press the Home button. You need to hold down the Home button for approximately 6 to 7 seconds in order to close all applications. This can be a major drainage if you use a lot of applications.

Good luck with fixing your battery problems

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. RubyJewelStone

RubyJewelStone New Member

It looks like this problem is back.
    > I went on a trip, and then it refused to charge with both a belkin and an official ipod charger.
    > Then when I got home, I was able to successfuly charge it ONLY on my computer.
    > So, I turned SSH, WiFi, and Mail off (and I don't think anything else would be on since I had only just turned it on to turn those things off.) And I put it in sleep mode and left it alone, and the next day, it wouldn't turn on, because of no battery...yet again.

WTF...should I just restore and send it back?
  7. fullback

fullback New Member

hmmmm ... a lot of times when I stick my iPod in my pocket or in my backpack, something happens where the iPod just keeps rebooting itself (the white apple image comes on and off).

I can imagine in 30mins booting on and off, that will significantly decrease your battery.

Just a thought.
  8. LyncHung

LyncHung New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i leave ssh on on my 1.1.4 jb. when i put in sleep mode it doesn't stay on. i can't ssh to my ipod with it in sleep mode. but apps like islsk will keep running in background when in sleep mode.
  9. 2xtreme

2xtreme Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I am having the same problem with mine I bought a klipsch sound dock and I have a power block and neither one of them would charge it but computer will? My wifes worked just fine with both chargers. Should I restore and return to apple?
  10. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

It sounds like a hardware problem. Restore and return to Apple.