Cracked screen. Please help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Herods.demise, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Herods.demise

Herods.demise New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm new. And I have a 1g iPod touch. The screen is cracked about it the middle, causing there to be a little section of the touchscreen I cannot use. What I need to know is, is that an internal problem that can only be fixed by sending it in? How much would that cost? And if I could do it myself, how would I to about doing that and how much would it cost? I know I would need a new screen.. But like how the hell do I put the screen in? Thanks x)
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

You can get a new screen/digitizer on eBay for like $30-50. You'll need to take your iPod apart and replace it, but there's obviously a risk of breaking it. If you were to send it to Apple, it would cost $200 for repairs.
  3. Herods.demise

Herods.demise New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok cool.

so.. Replacing the screen, WOULD fix the portion that doesn't work? And could someone tell me or send me a tut on how to take it apart? Cuz I don't see any screws or anything like that.
  4. BoxMan

BoxMan New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I will look for a tut for you but here is what I do. If you buy your iPod Touch at bestbuy, get the warranty. Their warranty is if you break it, they will fix it, or replace it, at the store, for free (besides the 50 dollar or so warranty fee)
  5. Herods.demise

Herods.demise New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually. That'd be under apple care, right? And broken screen is accidental damage. Which is not replaced.

haha I already looked at that. But some one. Answer my question please
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Will a new screen fix the portion of the screen that doesn't work??
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    alright never mind. I got it.

thanks though for letting me know it's called a digitizer. That's like 15 bucks on amazon.. Apple wants 200?! Wtf? Lol