Cox.net Email

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bradisonn, Nov 26, 2007.

1. bradisonn

bradisonn New Member

Has anyone successfully connected to their cox.net email account through the Mail.app? Sorry if this was already discussed.
  2. Zarathustra

Zarathustra New Member

Cox internet mail

I have not, and, in fact, I didn't know it was possible to get Mail.app onto the Touch before now. However, I have been successful in reading my mail from Cox via the internet and WIFI. I suspect you already know this, but.....What the hey!
  3. bradisonn

bradisonn New Member

haha, yes i did know that. And you should deffinitly get the mail.app. If only i could get cox to work...
  4. Zarathustra

Zarathustra New Member

Mail.App

Where can I get the Mail.app software? And, do I have to hack the Touch to do this?

Thanks,
    Z
  5. bradisonn

bradisonn New Member

yes, you have to jailbreak your ipod first. Just look at some of the other threads and you'll find what you are looking for. Particularly in the iPhone Applications section
  6. scizzy

scizzy New Member

I got it to work!!!

sorry guys if this isn't too detailed... this is my first post...

I opened up mail.app on ipod... added the cox account for pop3. i always got some certificate error and nothing would happen. i then changed the account to imap.... hit save... It tried to find emails and came back with some other error... i then changed it back to pop3 and hit save... this time it saved the settings...

i then went into settings, mail... cox.net account... and did the following...:

i have pop host: pop.west.cox.net
    my user name without the cox.net attached
    password

outgoing as:
    smtp.west.cox.net:25
    no user or pass

click on advanced and do the following:

incoming:
    use ssl - off
    authentication - password
    server port - 110

outgoing:
    use ssl - off
    server port - 25

after doing that... i sent and recieved a couple of test emails and everything works...

if you have any problems... mail me at mesapd@cox.net and i will try to get back to you!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!
  7. huuan

huuan New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    A year and a half later I found this thread via google and then shortly after found out how to use SSL with ipod touch mail app and cox email. Here's how:
    go to settings/mail,contacts,calendars/Add account choose other, choose Add Mail Account. Fill in name, email address, password and description on the screen that comes up. Save those.
    One the next screen tat comes up click om POP in the first line then fil in the host name as
    spop.west.cox.net or spop.east.cox.net or the one to go with your region.

Note that is not a misprint, that is spop (secure pop)

Fill in your username one more time (the password should have carried over from previously)
    Fill in your outgoing mail server like smtp.west.cox.net (change for your region) and click Save.
    When all the settings are verified a checkmark will appear next to them all and you are good to go.
    If it says something like "can't connect via SSL would you like to ..." then you probably missed the step about selecting POP on the second screen and are trying IMAP so go back and try over with POP. Or perhaps mistyped soemthing.

Once everything is working you can go back into the settings and see that it has automatically connected on port 995 and that SSL is on

Please Register or Log in to view images

Note that you probably won't be able to send email from a wifi in a cafe or similar as cox won't let you connect to their smtp from outside their network.
    I haven't tried receiving mail from a non cox connected wifi yet but I suspect it will work just fine. Anyway these settings work for me using my ipod to my home wifi router connected to cox.

I could not find a definitive guide when I searched so I hope this helps other folks trying to configure this.

I got the spop from "Mail for Mac OS X 10.5 configure SSL / POP" here:
    http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/as...sprt_cid=16d799e1-107f-40e1-b04c-7f95e8bcaf39

Please Register or Log in to view images