couple easy questions, and yes, i did search.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by germ, May 2, 2010.

1. germ

germ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    sold the iphone 3g i had a while back and tried out a few of the andriod phones. lets just say i am back to the iphone. even on the Edge networ, the iphone still is better. so i am trying to catch up with all of the new developments and such and have a few questions after shoping on craigslist for a 3g (not GS)...

3.1.3 cant be unlocked to tmobile right?

whats the deal with the MC serial numbers?

will they be able to be unlocked?

i know there is some sort of "Spirit" release, but thats just for Jailbreaking untethered right?

what is the last firmware that can be unlocked, 3.1.2 or a 3.1.3 that has the 5.11.07 baseband preserved?

sorry for the questions, but with so many different Snow's and Rain's and basebands and stuff, its hard to keep it all straight.

thanks!
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. depending on baseband

2. MC are tethered jailbreak

3. not with spirit
  3. germ

germ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    so basically, if i can find a 3g w/ 3.1.3 w/ 5.12.01 it CANT be unlocked?

is there any word on an unlock soon?

but if i can find a 3.1.2 or a 3.1.3 that was previously jailbroke and unlocked i should be ok to unlock for tmobile right?
  4. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    MC model number has nothing to do with the iphone 3GS. There are launch model iPhone 3GSs with the model number beginning with MC. The MC model prefix only concerns iPod touch 2nd Gens (yes 2nd NOT 3rd). To tell if your iphone 3GS has a new bootrom or not (the new bootrom semi-patches the 24kpwn exploit, and so is a tethered JB only unless you use the userland spirit jailbreak which like all userland exploits will easily be patched by apple in a firmware update), you need to look at the SERIAL NUMBER. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits. The 3rd digit represents YEAR, basically if your 3rd digit is a 0 u have new boot rom automatically because that means the 3GS was made in 2010. If your 3rd digit is a 9, that means the 3GS was made in 2009. If so, look at the 4th and 5th digit. This is the week number - generally any week after week 41 (september 09) will have new bootrom.

So if your serial number's 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits are 006,that means you have new bootrom, because it was made in 6th week of 2010. If your serial number is for example 930, it has old bootrom because it was made in 30th week of 2009.

AGAIN, I will break it down:If the 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits of your Serial # are:
    0, XX - New BootRom
    9, >41 - Almost positively New BootRom
    9, <41 - Almost positively Old BootRom
    (X, XX = Year, WeekWeek) (X signifies any number 0-9)

There is no CONCRETE week number, but its generally agreed that week 40 or 41 is the cutoff.

Spent quite some time researching after being given the wrong information by J-Phone and some other members, guess post count really does not count. Wall of text complete.
  5. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S

no... mc model 3GS means new bootrom
  6. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  7. ddxsamx

ddxsamx New Member

Hi, Does this apply to the 3G as well?
    Just want to clear a few things
    My three digits are 836, so 2008, week 36?

I am on 3.1.3, 05.12.01 but on fuzzyband it says i'm on 5.09 boot.
    I cannot unlock right now yeah?
  8. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    no it does not apply to the regular 3G iphones. They do not have the new bootrom. Fuzzyband can only downgrade Baseband 5.11.07. So no you cannot unlock currently. However there is an unlock exploit that has been fouind but it is not being released until 4.0 firmware is released, because they dont want it to be patched.
  9. ddxsamx

ddxsamx New Member

Cheers,
    Thanks for clearing it up.

Please Register or Log in to view images