Could they make you update to a brick??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cloverz7, Oct 15, 2007.

1. cloverz7

cloverz7 New Member

Like the iphones got bricked due to modding, just curious before I go all out buy my touch to mod it. I don't want to end up with a 399$brick.
  2. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No. Just don't update, and you'll be fine.
  3. MegaMan

MegaMan New Member

apple never forced iphone users to upgrade to 1.1.1
    however shame on apple for bricking phones
  4. coolkid

coolkid New Member

just wail untill they come out with a patch to unbrick your ipoT then update and unbrick it
  5. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

Yea, you should be able to pass on upgrading. The ONLY way I can see them doing something bad... (and mind you this would be really reall sh*tty on apples part) is if they force the firmware in order to continue to sync with itunes.

But I really doubt that is going to happen.
  6. synagence

synagence New Member

If you have only your own music on itunes .... you can disable internet access to itunes which means its cannot access apple to update if you're so paranoid

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. tombi

tombi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Its only a software modification whereas the iPhone was a hardware modification so i doubt they can do anything to it
  8. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Mustachio has a point. And I could see them doing something along these lines. This is what Sony has been doing to the psp hacking community for years..... Community comes out with a good app, then Sony steals the idea, puts it in their next official update, and then makes it so any new games you have bought don't work unless you upgrade to their firmware. Then it gets cracked and the whole cycle starts over again. It's great for the end user, because the hackers, and official companies compete, bringing us more and more fun things to do on our machines.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The only drawback (with the psp anyways) is that there is sometimes some downtime in between official releases and cracks.

Edit: I just thought of a bit of a problem with this analogy though. SONY has to look out for their game publishers, because along with every PSP hack, comes pirated games. APPLE on the other hand won't need to be quite as vigilant towards us, I am guessing.
  9. synagence

synagence New Member

Sony with PSP could "force" an update .... they put the new firmware on the disks of new games for users to update
  10. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    uh... the only "hardware mod" i can think of that you could possible be talking about is a sim card from a different carrier. but as its been reported, thats not what bricks your iphone. even people with AT&T sims had been bricked when the update was released. its the software that bricked the phones, not the sims.

but they never forced you to update to that new firmware. you just waited until the new firmware was cracked, ran devhook, or waited for a custom firmware to be made out of it. (or back in the old days, just edited the index.dat to make the game think you had a higher firmware than you did)