Could pixel doubling be scraped in 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tommm, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Could apple use the iPhone 4 app enlargement technology on the iPad?

1. Yes

15.4%
  2. Maybe

38.5%
  3. No, they don't want to

15.4%
  4. No, there's a technical limitation stopping them

30.8%
  1. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    In the iPhone 4 they have a technology to enlarge the app from 480x320 to 960x640 but actually enlarge the app rather than just doubling the pixels. Does anyone think this could be coming to the iPad in 4.0? So iPhone apps could scale up with out been pixelated.

It would be so much better than pixel doubling they have at the moment (which looks aweful, especially on apps which display webpages)
  2. Casiuss

Casiuss Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I think they should, but I also guess theres some kind of strange hard or software limitation or something.
  3. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Not all apps on the iPhone 4 scale up, a lot of apps (mainly games) were quite pixellated, but a lot have been updated now. I think it would be good, but may be a bit strange and there could be a lot of bugs
  4. macdude

macdude New Member

I was wondering, since the iphone 4's have the higher res, couldn't they make it so the ipad uses the higher res option if it is available. Because didn't the iphone 4 essentially double the pixels? If they could do this then the apps made for the iphone for could display in 1x mode and still be large.
  5. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

I don't think they're going to scrap it because there will inevitably be some applications that won't be updated for the iPhone 4 resolution. Imagine how horrible they'd look pixel doubled by default. Apple might, however, switch the toggle around from 2x to 1x rather than the opposite or may allow for a preference in Settings.
  6. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    This is more than likely to happen... Since the 1x/2x button might not be responsive for some games/apps due to the way those apps work. Both on the iPhone 4 and the iPad, the 2x mode essentially scale up all games and apps and automatically apply some simple filtering to certain elements (I think anything based on the CoreGraphics layer), anything based on OpenGL and so on may just be pixel-doubled, which looks horrible...

But the most horrible thing about the 1x mode on the iPad is that the app looks miniature on the screen, and you can't hold the pad while playing some games, or operating some apps. Scaling it up may make it look horrible, but it should at least make sure control and operation is as close to the developer's intention as possible.
  7. rrroach

rrroach Well-Known Member

It's actually 4 times bigger, but I don't know the answer to your question. I know that there's a way to run iPad software on iPhones, so maybe that'd be the way to go.
  8. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Super Monkey Ball looks epic 2x on the iPad. Works fine except slightly pixalated.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But other games suck, apps like Facebook shouldn't be stretched. Apple should introduce a way for the devs to choose how they want there app expanded.
  9. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Some games that support iPhone 4s screen don't work with full force on iPad

Please Register or Log in to view images

just makes screen all glitchy...

but would be nice if they did by default.. When will facebook be offically released for iPad lol sucks