Could I build...

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by imranh101, Feb 15, 2010.

1. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Hey guys. Looking to build a new PC here! Slowly. VERY SLOWLY.

The main problem is my Mobo - it's so old, it doesn't support PCI-E, DDR2/3, or ANY dual,quad core processors.

Do you think that for under $100 I could get either a MOBO, just the mobo, that will support :
    An AMD 3000+ (I forget slot # but its really old) but could be upgraded to a newer processor later
    DDR "1" until I can get newer RAM later
    PATA harddrives
    And lastly a PCI video card, again until I can get a better, newer one.

If you there isn't one that will likely use my processor, which I'm betting is the case, for under $150 could I get a mobo w/ processor that could support my other "needs"?

Thanks a bundle in advance. I'm tired of being unable to run crysis on super low settings at 5 fps.

Edit : Please don't come in here saying "Don't do that, just buy an all new PC" please. I get tired of that.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I would just wait until you can save up enough for a whole new computer. Getting a motherboard with the specs you need will be very challenging, if not impossible.

Also the reason for slow crapness is not just your mobo, it is your entire hardware.
  3. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It would actually be VERY easy, what is hard is to get it within $100. It's also almost always cheaper to make your own computer from scratch instead of buying a new one with the exact same specs. (that's saying that you know where to look for parts).

What would make is slow is not enough RAM, a slow processor, and the graphics card.

My first suggestion would be to end all non-essential processes when trying to play Crysis (including explorer.exe, you don't need that to play a game). You may also want to put the process that Crysis uses priority to real-time.

I'll look for the parts within your price range and will tell you my results.
  4. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Well, So far it looks like NO WAY of using my old RAM and Processor.
    So I'm looking at a cheap, $40-50 mobo, maybe $70-80 processor, and maybe $30-$40 for 1 or 2 gb RAM. Assuming prices are on my "top" ends, thats 50, 80, and 40, which is about 170. I'm willing to do that, birthday in 2 monthes plus saving up till then might get me enough. See what you can do, and please note buying at my local "Microcenter" (Check their site) is prefered. Ebay is a NO WAY AT ALL, and Newegg/tigerdirect are a last resort. Amazon is good though!

Off for some TF2 to take my mind off it all.
    Check this out; http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0285258
  5. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There is almost no way you will be able to build a computer with that price range that will play Crysis.

Also which processor are you talking about? There are a few AMD with 3000+ such as the AMD Sempron 3000+ and AMD AthlonXP 3000+. It really matters since they have different speeds.

Also have you tried searching through motherboard.com? That's where I got most of my PC parts from, mainly besides the case.
  6. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    build your own computer?????? wouldnt it be harddd?
  7. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, it's extremely easy. Just buy the parts and take the 10 minutes to put it all together.
  8. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    sorry for bad spelling, doing this from my iPod
    Well I've given up on keeping my processor
    right now I'm looking at keeping
    Video card (PCI, not PCIE)
    Case
    PSU (Relativey new about 6 mothes old, 500 watt)
    hard drives

so I need to buy

mobo
    CPU
    ram

and I don't mean 150$ for whole pc, just CPU n mobo which I think is manageable for a low/decent end gaming pc

microcenter has good prices on ram so I'll probably be buying it there
    and note my bid card is pci so I will new a pci compatible computer (most are anyway)

and I'm fine with the physical aspect btw I'm handy at pc building

also will I need to buy a new cooling system? I'm not looking at a mega beast computer, maybe 3 ghz dual core, 2 or 4 gb ram, a 50/60$ gfx card, so would just heatsinks n fans be enough
  9. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    You'll be surprised how easy it is when you actually have an idea of what your doing.
  10. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    HOLY F*** HELL I LOVE YOUR AVATAR BADKARMA.
    Sorry it just came out