Could a case interfere the wifi quality?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by FreakKitchen, May 6, 2008.

1. FreakKitchen

FreakKitchen New Member

Could a case interfere the wifi quality?

Simple question
  2. cavefishes

cavefishes New Member

Yes. If the case is thick enough, wifi quality is affected. That is why most cases are thin or have a wifi cutout.
  3. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It depends on the material and thickness of the case.
  4. thebigb

thebigb New Member

As cavefishes and hakk79 said, material and thickness may cause interference. Read on for a technical explanation

Please Register or Log in to view images

Radio waves work EXACTLY like light (in fact, radio waves and light are both electromagnetic radiation just different wavelengths), except many more substances appear like glass to it. Metal doesn't, which is why iPod touches and iPhones have plastic sections on the back; they're for the antennas.
    2 people like this.
  5. angrysheepdog

angrysheepdog New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    woah, I never realized that was why the small section was plastic on the itouch. you get + rep for that. also, the whole glass example really helps understand it.
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Depending on the case you have, if it is covering the Wi-Fi attena, you will loose the quality of your connection. Make sure to purchase a case with an opening so the black-plastic attena area to retrieve the Wi-Fi signal is out in the open.

There's also another hidden antenna-like feature, for the auto brightness control. It's located in the black area to the left of the screen, and you can't see it. Some cases provide a small circular opening for this area, which is why you know it is there. It's to control automatic brightness by figuring out the brightness of the room.
  7. alexanderkk

alexanderkk Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It does depend on the material or the thickness of the case.
    I think thats why official ipod cases are so expensive, because they are made especially to protect and to not interfere with the ipods functions, such as wi fi (important one).

+REP if i helped you...Thanks =D
  8. seven7seven

seven7seven New Member

The iClear does affect the Wi-Fi
  9. Tigerclaw

Tigerclaw New Member

I bought a clear plastic "Griffin" case, and I'm SURE it interferes with WiFi signals. I always get a better conection downstairs without the case

(My router is upstairs of course). The case being "clear" makes no difference to the signal, it's the thickness of the case that sort of "blocks" the radio waves just a touch (pardon the pun).

If I'm in the room with the router I leave the case on, but if I use the Touch further away, I take the case off