Cost of Getting an iPhone from ATT and Cancelling Contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by suberizedwrx, Apr 15, 2009.

1. suberizedwrx

suberizedwrx New Member

Ok, here's what I know. You can get an iPhone from ATT and cancel your contract on the 31st day. What I don't know are the fees involved. I know there is a $175 cancellation fee. I would assume that there is an activation fee. I would assume that you'd have to pay for at least the first and second months worth of service, since the 31st day rolls into the second month. And I would assume that in order to keep your iPhone you'd have to pay for the phone! Can someone fill in the blanks below regarding fees...

Activation Fee:.....
    Early Termination Fee:....175 got that one
    Voice plan fee:.....
    Iphone fee (the price to pay in order to NOT return your iphone).....
    Additional fees I didn't think of......

THANKS
  2. mugendc4

mugendc4 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    that does sound like a good plan but AT&T caught on people doing that so it won't work anymore... I recently went with my friend to activate an iphone 3g and the ETF was around $400 for iphones + I think the rep said we had to return the phone as well. I don't know why he said we had to return the phone since pretty much your just canceling your contract and $400 ETF which is paying for rest of the phone anyways.
  3. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

Just buy one from eBay?
  4. suberizedwrx

suberizedwrx New Member

Dunno... the price is still high. I just want to use it for the GPS on the 3G phone. I would JB / unlock it too in order to use Tmobile. I'll have to think about it. Thanks guys.
  5. Pandawg

Just wait until the new iPhone comes out and buy an older model after like a month, the price should be down a bit, that's what I'm going to try to do at least haha
  6. suberizedwrx

suberizedwrx New Member

Sounds good. What's so special about the new iphone?
  7. Pandawg

New camera I think, other than that I'm not sure haha. I don't really care though, I just want the iPhone for the 3G
  8. suberizedwrx

suberizedwrx New Member

Just to inform everyone this is how it works. I called ATT and hopefully the representative was knowledgeable and I heard him correctly.

Get iPhone 3G 8GB at ATT store for $199 by signing up for 2yr contract.
    Cancel 2 year contract AFTER 30 days. NOT on the 30th day.
    Pay ATT $175 for early termination (ETF).
    Pay your first months ATT bill. About $70 worth.

So all in all you have 199+ 175 + 70 on the low end....to get yourself an iPhone. Right now the iPhone isn't worth that much to me. My iPod does everything I need it to thus far except for GPS & Voice.

I'm not sure if there are activation fees...call and ask....with the $400 price tag for the phone, service and ETF I stopped asking questions and figured that I'd wait. Besides, something is on the horizon with Apple supposedly ordering millions of chips lately.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Andrew2

Andrew2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the info.