iOS 4.0 Copying a pdf from iBooks to computer?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Musicislife, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Musicislife

Musicislife Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    sorry if this has been discussed, i searched.

i have an important pdf saved to my ibooks in my ipod, it came from an email that got automatically erased from my spam box so the only way i can see it is in ibooks on my ipod. i need to copy it from my ipod to my computer so i can print it, but my ipod is plugged in but i have auto-sync off. will syncing my ipod put the pdf into itunes? or will it delete it because its not one of the checked pdfs? the pdf isnt showing in my ibooks tab on my ipod in itunes but i have others checked, i think if i sync its going to erase it from my ipod and make sure that the only pdfs i have on there are the ones checked in itunes? please help, very important that i get this pdf to my computer
  2. Spark1223

Spark1223 Banned

Try right clicking on your iPod name and click "Transfer Purchases". I know you didn't buy it, but thats generally how transferring files from iPod to computer works. The other thing you can try is making a backup and using a backup extractor, or if you're Jailbroken use ssh or some kind of iPod Touch disk utility like iPhoneBrowser to pull it out of ibooks. If you need to know what folder its in on the iPod, I don't know off hand but I can find out if you need to know.

You do not need to sync your iPod and yes it may remove your songs if you do, so I wouldn't sync, just try those things.
  3. Musicislife

Musicislife Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    EDIT:
    after hitting the drop down menu of media in my ipod, i looked in the books tab in there and the pdf is there, does that mean that its safe to sync and it will add the pdf to my itunes library?
  4. Spark1223

Spark1223 Banned

Actually, you might be able to drag and drop it off with itunes too then.

DO NOT SYNC. You don't need to, it might erase it.
    There are easier ways.
  5. Musicislife

Musicislife Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    thanks spark, drag and drop didnt work because the items in there were all grey, but transfering purchases did the job. i considered doing that but wasnt sure since it didnt come from itunes, thanks a ton

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Spark1223

Spark1223 Banned

No prob. If you're jailbroken ssh and iPhoneBrowser are also great for pulling things off.

I also manage my iPod manually, I'm not a fan of syncing, I've only recently picked that up.
  7. quitermarry

quitermarry New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Even though you've already solved it, I transfer in between my iPad/iPhone with Dropbox. I usually buy a lot of books on my iMac that are epub or pdf that aren't in iBooks, so the quickest way to transfer them and keep them backed up is in my dropbox. When you install the app on your phone, you can navigate to a book and select "Open in iBooks". It's a really handy way to transfer things in between the devices.
    For more detailed guide of sync content to iPhone, follow this tip "Transfer ePub/PDF books to iPhone on Mac".
    It's easy to understand and works pretty well for my iPhone.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012