Copy Movies and Files OFF a Jailbroken iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cookedart, Nov 3, 2007.

1. cookedart

cookedart New Member

Disclaimer: I have not yet tested to see if these are the only things necessary to backup for each category. I will perform a restore on my iPod and let you know - check back if you care.

I am going to restore my iPod because somewhere along the line, something is causing intermittent crashes on my apps (I may have tinkered around too much).

Anyways, after tinkering around with the Touch, I have found in what directories everything lives.

Music
    All .m4a and .mp3 files in ~Media/iTunes_Control/Music/F## - ## is replaced by a real number - I had 49 folders on my touch. A note - all files are renamed something nonsensical (FZFW.mp3 for instance) - if you want to retain everything you may have to Backup your entire iTunes_Control folder, which also contains the album art and the iTunes Database. This is not a good method of finding a specific song to backup, unfortunately. If someone knows a way to do this, please chime in.

Purchased Music
    Backup the entire ~Media/Purchases

All the .m4p files, album art, and activation info seems to be stored here. Again, the .m4p files are not renamed sensically but you would need to copy it with the activation info and file naming intact anyways to have it still work. Not a good method to get a purchased song off one iPod touch and onto another, unfortunately. If someone can recommend how to do this, please reply.

Podcasts (Downloaded via MobileCast.app)
    Backup the folder ~Media/MobileCast

Photos
    Backup the folder ~Media/Photos

Movies
    It seems I have found the .m4v (Movie) files in ~Media/iTunes_Control/Music/ - there are various F## folders there, and they are randomly placed throughout those folders. A pain in the ass to find and backup (I had around 50 folders to search through), but still definitely possible. A side note - movies are renamed something nonsensical like FWFA.m4v. I would recommend copying them off, opening them up, renaming them, and recopying it back on via iTunes after the restore is complete.

Contacts
    Contacts seems to be in ~Library/AddressBook/AddressBook.sqlitedb and AddressBookImages.sqlitedb [/EDIT]

Calendars
    Calendar seems to be in ~Library/Calendar/Calendar.sqlitedb

Safari
    Safari Bookmarks and History seems to be in ~Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist and ~Library/Safari/History.plist

Todos (MobileToDoList.app)
    In ~Library/MobileToDoList/todos.dat is where the todos are stored, and groups.dat is where the groups are stored (self-evident).

Notes (for MobileNotes.app)
    Backup ~Library/Notes/notes.db

Books (for Books.app)
    Backup ~Media/EBooks

NES Roms (for NES.app)
    Backup ~Media/ROMS

Tap Tap Revolution Tracks
    Backup ~Media/TTR

Icon Order
    Don't forget to backup /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/N45AP.plist if you have fiddled around with the icon order.

FYI I am going to copy these off via SFTP, obviously, and copy them back on again once the touch is re-jailbroken. I have not tested if this will work but it looks pretty straightforward.

If I think of any other files that may need backing up I will be sure to post their location here.
  2. thetetrisaddict

thetetrisaddict New Member

I'd like to know the contacts also. It's a pain having to redo everything after I restore.
  3. herve5

herve5 New Member

Cookedart, could you tell us if all went OK?
    (also, I'm interested in how to read the notes files on the mac...)

all the best,
    Hervé
  4. frankdot

frankdot New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    did this work??
  5. Mouse212

Mouse212 New Member

Thanks a lot Cookedart, this proved very useful.

I don't suppose you, or anyone else for that matter, know where the list of stocks or youtube favourites are kept do you? I know they're not the most expansive lists but it would still be nice to create a copy when rejailbreaking.

Cheers,
    Mouse
  6. Mouse212

Mouse212 New Member

This works between firmwares 1.1.2 and 1.1.4, i.e. files from 1.1.2 copied to the ipod after updating to 1.1.4, if anyone was wondering.

In response to my own question, youtube bookmarks can be found under the "Youtube" folder (surprising that, eh?) but I'm not sure about stocks.