converting videos to mp4?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by natoosh21, Dec 17, 2007.

1. natoosh21

natoosh21 New Member

can somebody pleaseee provide me with the quickest and easiest way of converting DVDs to ipod touch format
    YES i have searched but i find tooo many procedures of doing this
    i just wanna find one which is guarenteed to let me convert eg 2 1/2 length movie

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. linds

linds New Member

3. natoosh21

natoosh21 New Member

does handbrake work with pc?? i dont have a mac
    EDIT: it doesnt matter hahaha
    thanks for the reply! i didnt check if it did work with pc first haha
  4. ire

ire New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am using CloneDVDmobile, it's easy to use and gives a nice result. Using DVDdecrypter before CloneDVDmobile if the DVD is protected.
  5. AliasMrJones

AliasMrJones New Member

DVDDecrypter + Videora works fine for me.
  6. rconn2

rconn2 New Member

I agree. Videora is easy to use and works well. Use the h264 codec (you'll see it in the drop down list) for 480x320. If the highest quality is wanted, then create a new profile and up the audio and video bitrate to the max.

Another great free converter is Super: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
    The user interface is a little clunky, but it's not too complicated. It has some useful features such as analyzing media and doing a number of other conversions besides mp4 -- such as wav's.

Another free program you'll want is Yamb (do a google). It'll join mp4's together.

These are the three to get: Videora, Super, and Yamb -- all freeware.

Imho, stay away from the other ones you'll see when you google. It _appears_ to me, several of these are the _same_ program but w/ different skins and different websites (along w/ "evaluations" of the "competing" products...). I tried a prominently mentioned one (puts an evaluation watermark on the trial version). I timed against Super and Videora, and, it was much slower. And, the resulting mp4 was poor quality (tears and pixelation). It also had few settings that could be modified.

Before you pay for any of the iphone or ipod touch dvd converters you'll find in forums or thru a google, make sure you compare doing a small clip against Videora and Super.
  7. Juwilz

Juwilz New Member

I use Super, but it might take awhile to convert though. Well, iuno cuz i've only used Super to convert thing. >.<
  8. rconn2

rconn2 New Member

Super and Videora seem to take about the same time on a test clip.

I pushed Videora to the highest video (1500 kb) and audio (160 kb) bitrate that's supported on the touch. On a 5 year old pc, it took about 12 minutes to encode a 7 minute clip to a 480 x 320 h264 mp4. It crops the 480 to 426 to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio... so that's 426 x 320.

I didn't time the default 480 x 320 h264 mp4 setting (768 video, 128 audio), but the quality was very good, the file not quite half the size and much faster. This will probably be my setting for most videos -- except those I want to save and have at the best.

Super seemed to run about the same as Videora and produced the same excellent quality. It can do many types of conversions and has more settings, though the interface isn't so nice -- but it's not complicated.
  9. ihawk98

ihawk98 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i tried videora yesterday for the first time. it was easier to use than Super but both work fine for me.
  10. rconn2

rconn2 New Member

Agree. I've been mostly using videora, but I like using Super to get info on a media file by adding it and double-clicking. It can also save sound to wav files and has more conversions and settings.

I do also recommend yamb: http://yamb.unite-video.com/download.html -- I looked all over for a way to join vobs and ended up finding this software which joins mp4's (even better). You just have to make sure to use the same mp4 settings for the files to be joined.