Converting video

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Slippery Jim, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Slippery Jim

Slippery Jim New Member

Help!

I'm the most honest DVD collector you'll ever meet. I've bought over 400 DVD titles and never, ever bought a pirate copy. My trouble is I'd like to transfer my DVDs to my iTouch (I've only had it since Saturday) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them onto it.

I had a bit of a root-around and someone suggested that a freeware program called 'Handbrake' could convert my DVDs to a format the iTouch would accept so I downloaded it and tried converting a DVD to .m4v format (which it did) but the iTouch refuses to acknowledge it's existence.

What am I doing wrong? I'm a complete novice to this so please assume you're talking to an idiot

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What type of error are you getting? Is it saying that the video doesn't exist (try playing it in VLC or Quicktime), or that the video isn't playable by the iPod (use videora or something to convert it).
  3. Slippery Jim

Slippery Jim New Member

Quicktime says it isn't a recognisable file type. Don't have VLC. WMP just laughs in my face. I'm trying x-oom which converts for the PSP right now. Interestingly, x-oom converts video to .mp4 format whereas Handbrake converts to .m4v format. This is going to take an hour or two so I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow as its 03:40 right now and I've just finished a 12 hour shift at midnight!

If I get no joy from x-oom I'll try videora as you suggested.

Thanks for the advice - I really appreciated it.
  4. Slippery Jim

Slippery Jim New Member

Ooops! Sorry. Forgot to say that iTunes doesn't give any error message at all. It just refuses to acknowledge the file exists at all.
  5. SladeX

SladeX New Member

cucusoft has an encoder that's been working great for me, I've got 20 hours of video on it now using only 9.49gb! I can get it to hold 30 hours of full res video if I didn't fill up the rest with mp3s.

The cucusoft encoder also works with DVD and pretty much any container type file mkv, avi etc.
  6. Slippery Jim

Slippery Jim New Member

YEEEEEEEEEES!

x-oom worked a treat. Amazing considering it was designed for the PSP not the iTouch!

All I did was save it as an .mp4 to hard disk then import it to iTouch!

Saved as a 4GB file as well!

Thanks for all your help guys... much appreciated.
  7. renzhen2001

renzhen2001 New Member

any free video converting software for ipod Touch, for Mac ?

Hi,
    newbie here, just got my ipod touch. looking for free conversion software to download, can anyone help?
    thanks!
  8. rangersmith

rangersmith New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    4 gb file thats huge for .mp4 you will not get many films on with this size file I use DVD decrypter to rip first then convert with handbrake, files are never more than just over 1gb and great quality.
  9. Koalaman

Koalaman New Member

Doese anyone have the proper settings for handbrake for the ipod touch?

10. foxer720

foxer720 New Member