Converting Mini to Flash

Discussion in 'iPod classic, nano, etc.' started by iPoTH4CK3R, Nov 17, 2008.

1. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well as you may or may not know, I've had an old mini that's been broken for quite sometime now. Anyways, I finally chalked up the $5 and bought a new battery off eBay. So I installed etc. etc. and what do you know, it worked.

So to bring me to where I am at now. I charged it from my wall charger, and it charged fine (however it did get pretty hot, the battery was from hong kong, so its a cheapy so prolly why) but then I plugged it into my computer and the do not disconnect screen showed, but then the hard drive started clicking really loud like loud enough to hear holding it away from your head. Once this started the screen on the mini blinked and it froze up my computer. It did this every time I tried and I eventually opened her back up and repositioned the battery in vain as it didn't help.

Then I got to thinking about a tutorial I read a while back about how to make a mini flash based.

Well I decided to go ahead with that so no more than 30 minutes ago I purchased a cheapy $17 8GB CF Card of eBay.

Here's my question, the tutorial says that the CF Card needs to be ATA compatible, well as you can see on the listing it says that it features ...Fast ATA host-to-buffer transfer rates... so I figured that meant it was ATA compatible.

Here's the question, am I correct is the Card i bought ATA compatible, and if you happen to have done this already, you think it will work?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advanced!!!
  2. bonerguitar

bonerguitar New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yup that should work fine... Have fun.
  3. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I sure hope so. I can't wait till I get the card, I may post pictures of the procedure!
  4. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, after purchasing a CF Card, then never receiving it, then purchasing another (which I got for cheaper!) I have finally performed probably the coolest Mod/Hack I've ever done. I have loads of photos of me taking the mini apart, then removing the MicroDrive, battery etc., but really I don't know how I'd fit them all on here. I may eventually resize them all and post them all. As of now, this is all I have for your viewing pleasure:

Please Register or Log in to view images

After I had taken the motherboard out, removed the MicroDrive (4GB) and battery, and then replaced them with the New 8GB CF Card, and a replacement (supposedly longer lasting) battery.

iTunes showing my mini with the now FLASH Based 8GB (well 7.51 really) syncing.

Any questions please feel free to ask!
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    nice. couldnt get one bigger than 8gb?
  6. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    nice dude

i say ebay it once u get bored of it

edit:try popping in a higher cappaacity cf card for a higher price on ebay

7. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    replace it now with a color screen and ud be set =P aha

actually what looked really cool is u can buy replacement backlight and make the backlight different colors
  8. spaided

spaided New Member

Dude, that is totally badazz, i wish i still had mine so i could mod it too!!! OH well thanks for the info
  9. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Don't Have the money now.

But ya, hypothetically this should work all the way up to 64GB or however high CF Cards go.

Believe me, I have searched everywhere and done some research on the insides of the mini, and a color screen wouldn't be possible. It just doesn't have the processing capabilities.

But I did see those little pieces of colored plastic you can stick in there. I might do that sometime.

Thanks, and no problem!

EDIT/UPDATE: Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Turns out the battery I bought is a piece of junk and stopped holding a charge after only 3 Days! (and it's not because of the CF Card, because it actually uses almost 50% less power then the MicroDrive!) Anyways, anyone know where I can get a decently priced, good replacement battery. Much appreciated.
  10. OneFan

OneFan Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    This link shoud be pretty helpful for what your doing to your mini.
    I bought a battery from there and its amazing.
    The recharges take like one hour tops and last so damn long.

http://www.ipodjuice.com/ipod-mini-battery-replacement-products.htm#ipod-mini-battery-products