convert xib to nib on linux

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by benob, Aug 19, 2008.

1. benob

benob New Member

Short story: is there a tool to convert xib files to nib on linux?

Long story:
    I'm a newbie, sorry if I'm asking for obvious things...
    So, I just got a working toolchain for 2.0 on linux and compiled New.app that I found on this forum. And it works!

I had trouble with the version of the root filesystem following Saurik's instructions (if you are planning to do it, remember to replace 1.1.4 by 2.0 everywhere). And also a bunch of problems with the headers (don't use xcode for 10.4).

Anyways, now I'm trying to compile a bunch of examples from the official SDK but on linux. Namely GLSprite.app. If you provide the right Makefile, headers and frameworks, it does compile. Great. But then I put everything in an .app folder, fix the Info.plist and copy all that to my device. Sign the executable, respring, and magic, the GLSprite icon appears and it launches when you tap it (it doesn't get killed). But the screen stays black. Pitch black. No Crash log; gdb says that the application is running... Everything is fine, but the screen stays black.

After looking around, I hypothesized that the application was not finding its resources (an image and the xib file). That's how I found out that other applications had a nib file instead of a xib. Some reading taught me that they can be compiled with ibtool (http://speirs.org/2007/12/05/what-are-xib-files/) on osx. Is there such a tool outside of the official SDK?

I also read that with the toolchain, you have to hardcode your interface in your source code. Did anybody try to handwrite xib/nib stuff and use it with the toolchain?
  2. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

the sdk examples will not work on linux right. they use all those nib and xib and mr pib files.'

buncha bull. you can use the sdk headers but dont use the same code.
  3. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Just make sure that in your main.m, you replace both instances of your class name with nil. Then in the info plist, you'll need to state the name of your main nib.

Once you get all that, you'll be fine.
  4. riddle713

riddle713 New Member

xib and nib

Were you able to find ibtool on other platforms (linux or windows?)