Convert to AAC?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jenna1983, Apr 11, 2010.

1. jenna1983

jenna1983 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Not sure if there's already a thread for this guys. Anyway, I have lot of songs on iTunes on my PC, but I've not yet transferred them to my iPod. My question is, before I transfer the songs, do I need to convert the songs to AAC first or are they automatically AAC since they're in iTunes? (I didn't download the songs from iTunes...so technically not legally LOL)

All these songs are actually .mp3 files on my PC, but I have them all on iTunes as well. Can I just transfer them to the ipod without a problem? If I need to convert them to .AAC, how do I do that? Thanks..
  2. CannonsMcFly

CannonsMcFly Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Just Transfer
  3. RowRowRowYerGoat

RowRowRowYerGoat New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Yeah, mp3 files work on iPods. You can just transfer them. If you ever do need to convert something to AAC, go into preferences in iTunes and somewhere in there is an option about importing/exporting, pick AAC, and then go back to your library and right click on your song that you want to convert and it should have an option to "convert file to AAC". Click it and it will make another copy of the file in AAC format. You will have to look in the "get info" tab to check which copy of the song is AAC, because both files will have the same name, artist etc. Hope I helped

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. jenna1983

jenna1983 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for the info! I thought I heard somewhere that ipods only play AAC files. Anyway, if I can just keep them as mp3 files(though they actually appear as MPEG files in iTunes), is there any benefit in converting them to AAC?
  5. yiday

yiday New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    pull songs in itune ,just do it.
  6. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    MP3 is short for MPEG-3. AAC tends to have a higher quality per bitrate, so if you have time to convert your files, you might as well. They'll be smaller and you shouldn't really lose any quality.
  7. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do not convert your MP3s just for the sake of having them in AAC format, the quality will degrade and drive space is negligible these days anyway. If you must have them in AAC format just re-acquire them as AACs.
  8. Gtamario

Gtamario Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Where? The iPod is a "mp3 player" (on any ad)